Naming children

  • John Hanyak
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2006
      I have just read the notes about the naming of children in Slovakia. My grandfather's name was John and he settled in Duquesne, PA. His oldest brother, and first son, was also named John (he settled in upstate New York). When I first found this out, I asked my father about it and was told that in large families, when a child moved out of the house you could reuse the name, thus 2 Johns in the same family.

      I haven't yet looked over the Church records so it will be interesting when I do.

      Jack Hanyak
      Father from Strocin