Re: [S-R] Holic Records

  • Tom Potsko
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 25, 2006
      JohnQ,

      Thanks. Not filmed yet? Do you feel I had the right location? Tom

      On 11/24/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

      > You won't (currently) find church records for Holic at LDS BUT you WILL
      > find the 1869 Hungarian Census.
      >
      > Holics (Holíè) Film 2190101 Item 2
      >
      > (cont.) Holics (Holíè Film 2190102 Item 1
      >
      > (cont.) Holics (Holíè Film 2190103 Item 1

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 25, 2006
        >>> Thanks. Not filmed yet? Do you feel I had the right location? <<<

        Yes, I think that it is the right location.

        Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
        what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.

        LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
        Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
        refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
        available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

        The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
        records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
        research at the archive.
      • Tom Potsko
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 25, 2006
          John,

          Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
          Thanks Again, Tom

          On 11/25/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

          > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
          >
          > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
          > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
          >
          > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
          > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
          > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
          > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
          > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
          > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
          >
          > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
          > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
          > research at the archive.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 25, 2006
            >>> Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice? <<<

            I have zero Slovak schooling and so I am linguistically challenged.
            Having said that, Slovak pronunciation is easy. You just have to watch
            for any accented letters. "ch" counts as a letter. You pronounce EVERY
            letter.

            With Holice, the "c" is not accented, therefor it has the sound "ts". I
            make it "holeetseh".

            Linguists can now laugh out loud and offer an erudite answer.
          • helene cincebeaux
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 25, 2006
              Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church

              so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few km away.

              helene

              Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote:
              John,

              Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
              Thanks Again, Tom

              > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
              >
              > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
              > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
              >
              > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
              > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
              > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
              > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
              > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
              > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
              >
              > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
              > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
              > research at the archive.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 26, 2006

                Not to confuse the issue BUT we have Holic' (accented c) and Holice,
                without accented c. The accent on the c changes the sound from "ts"
                to "ch".

                Holic' and Holice are different villages in western Slovakia.
              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 26, 2006
                  Point of clarification:

                  You mention BOTH Holice and Holic' in the same message. These are
                  DIFFERENT villages. Yours is Holic', very near the border with CR.
                • Don Havlicek
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 26, 2006
                    Actually, the correct pronunciation of Holic~ is:

                    Ho-leech .. the "i" is pronounced like a long E.

                    My ancestors are from S~as~tin-Straz~e .. not far from Holic~.

                    Don Havlicek

                    helene cincebeaux wrote:

                    > Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church
                    >
                    > so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few
                    > km away.
                    >
                    > helene
                    >
                    > Tom Potsko <jaschr71@... <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                    > John,
                    >
                    > Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
                    > Thanks Again, Tom

                    > > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
                    > >
                    > > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
                    > > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
                    > >
                    > > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                    > > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
                    > > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
                    > > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
                    > > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
                    > > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
                    > >
                    > > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
                    > > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
                    > > research at the archive.
                    > >

                    > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                    > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                    > <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> -or- send blank email to
                    > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Tom Potsko
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                      I feel Holic with an mark above the 'c' and Nitrianske are clearly what is
                      indicated on the church record, but are Holic and Holice both in Nitra Zupa
                      or County, does anyone have a map representation of the area? I found a
                      Holice, not Holic. Helene, please add Surany, Surani, and Kompor surnames to
                      my list. Thanks, Tom On 11/26/06, Don Havlicek <n8de@...> wrote:

                      > Actually, the correct pronunciation of Holic~ is:
                      >
                      > Ho-leech .. the "i" is pronounced like a long E.
                      >
                      > My ancestors are from S~as~tin-Straz~e .. not far from Holic~.
                      >
                      > Don Havlicek
                      >
                      > helene cincebeaux wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church
                      > >
                      > > so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few
                      > > km away.
                      > >
                      > > helene
                      > >
                      > > Tom Potsko <jaschr71@... <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                      > > John,
                      > >
                      > > Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
                      > > Thanks Again, Tom

                      > > > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
                      > > >
                      > > > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
                      > > > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
                      > > >
                      > > > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                      > > > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
                      > > > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
                      > > > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
                      > > > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
                      > > > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
                      > > >
                      > > > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
                      > > > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
                      > > > research at the archive.
                      > > >

                      > > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                      > > > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                      > > <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> -or- send blank email to
                      > > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Janet Kozlay
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                        Holic and Holice can both be found on Mapquest. Holic is very near the Czech
                        border, while Holice is southwest of Bratislava.

                        Janet

                        _____

                        my list. Thanks, Tom On 11/26/06, Don Havlicek <n8de@thepoint.
                        <mailto:n8de%40thepoint.net> net> wrote:

                        > Actually, the correct pronunciation of Holic~ is:
                        >
                        > Ho-leech .. the "i" is pronounced like a long E.
                        >
                        > My ancestors are from S~as~tin-Straz~e .. not far from Holic~.
                        >
                        > Don Havlicek
                        >
                        > helene cincebeaux wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hi Tom - c with a mark over it is the ch sound like in church
                        > >
                        > > so Holic~ would sound like Holich - my ancestors come from just a few
                        > > km away.
                        > >
                        > > helene
                        > >
                        > > Tom Potsko <jaschr71@gmail. <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com> com
                        <mailto:jaschr71%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                        > > John,
                        > >
                        > > Can you give me a phonetic pronunciation of Holice?
                        > > Thanks Again, Tom
                        > >
                        > > On 11/25/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@rogers.
                        <mailto:johnqadam%40rogers.com> com

                        > > > Yes, I think that it is the right location.
                        > > >
                        > > > Church records filmed but not indexed yet. However, you CAN determine
                        > > > what church reecords reside in the Slovak Archives.
                        > > >
                        > > > LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                        > > > Survey of parish registers in Slovakia up to the time of civil
                        > > > registration. Provides details of church records that are held in
                        > > > Slovak archives. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and page references
                        > > > refer to different religions. Most of these church records will be
                        > > > available on film via your LDS Family History Center.
                        > > >
                        > > > The census will give you plenty of information. To get at the church
                        > > > records in a timely fashion, you will need to pay someone to do
                        > > > research at the archive.
                        > > >

                        > > > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                        > > > http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
                        ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS
                        > > <http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
                        ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS> -or- send blank email to
                        > > > SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                        > > <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
                        ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to
                        > SLOVAK-ROOTS- <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                          >>> are Holic and Holice both in Nitra Zupa or County, does anyone have
                          a map representation of the area? <<<

                          CURRENT MAP

                          ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.

                          Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.

                          Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
                          Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
                          Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
                          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
                          the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.
                        • Tom Potsko
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                            John,

                            This entry was made by Rev. Joseph Murgas, a Slovakian genius, possibly
                            the true inventor of radio. I don't think he would have confused Holic for
                            Holice in Nitra. The Nitrianske seems to point to Holice. Would Mitrianske
                            make any sense? I see where both are located now, but there is no 'e' on
                            Holic here. It is obviously one or the other. Best guess? Thanks, Tom

                            On 11/27/06, johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                            > a map representation of the area? <<<
                            >
                            > CURRENT MAP
                            > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
                            > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
                            >
                            > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
                            >
                            > Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.
                            >
                            > Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
                            > Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
                            > Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
                            > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
                            > the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Vladimir Bohinc
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                              Dear all,
                              Holic was then in Nitra County. So , in slovak, it was " Holic v Nitrianskej stolice". This is grammar.
                              There are very many places which begin with Nitrianske, but this has nothing to do with Holic.
                              Absolutely no need to look for anything else.
                              Vladimir

                              This entry was made by Rev. Joseph Murgas, a Slovakian genius, possibly
                              the true inventor of radio. I don't think he would have confused Holic for
                              Holice in Nitra. The Nitrianske seems to point to Holice. Would Mitrianske
                              make any sense? I see where both are located now, but there is no 'e' on
                              Holic here. It is obviously one or the other. Best guess? Thanks, Tom

                              > a map representation of the area? <<<
                              >
                              > CURRENT MAP
                              > To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the
                              > proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at
                              >
                              > ShtetlSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
                              >
                              > Holic' is in the norh, near Myjava.
                              >
                              > Holice is in the south, not far from Danube River and 10 km west of
                              > Dunajska Streda. The 1910 map shows that Holice was Egyhaz-Gelle,
                              > Pozsony Megye = county. Look at
                              > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/pozsony.jpg and Dunaszerdahely in
                              > the green area, toward bottom of map and then go two villages west.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              __________ Informacia od NOD32 1882 (20061124) __________

                              http://www.eset.sk

                            • Tom Potsko
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                                Vladimir,

                                Thanks again for your assistance, and sorry I got so confused. I am
                                completely satisfied. Tom

                                On 11/27/06, Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:

                                > Dear all,
                                > Holic was then in Nitra County. So , in slovak, it was " Holic v
                                > Nitrianskej stolice". This is grammar.
                                > There are very many places which begin with Nitrianske, but this has
                                > nothing to do with Holic.
                                > Absolutely no need to look for anything else.
                                > Vladimir

                              • helene cincebeaux
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 27, 2006
                                  Hi Tom - checked the Slovak Pride data base (now 25,000 listings) and found 40 surnames listed for Holic and 0 for Holice - Holice is down in the Hungarian region where whole villages speak Hungarian - this might be a clue -

                                  helene