Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Mormon records

  • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 24, 2000
      Hello,

      The records in Slovkia that have been microfilmed can be ordered for viewing
      at any LDS Family History Center in your local area. Check in the Telephone
      Book for a listing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and call
      (perferably on a Sunday) that way you will be able to get someone there that
      day and they can tell you which of their local church branches houses the
      Family History Library, they will also be able to tell you the times that
      they are opened.

      Hope that this helps you!!!!

      Joy An Wilkinson-Johnson
      Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA, USA
    • J.West
      Message 2 of 13 , May 24, 2000
        The following link will take you to a search form on the LDS website where
        you can search for the nearest Family History Centre and it will provide
        the FHC's address, hours of operation and telephone number:

        Judy West
        Searching in Csomad, Hungary for: Bagyanszki, Brjeska, Klement, Koreny,
        Matejka, Szuchanszky, and Vrbovszky
      • sabinov@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 13 , May 25, 2000
          It's very rare that records are not allowed to be circulated, and this
          is the first instance I have heard of any Slovak Republic Church Records
          not allowed to be sent out of SLC. It will tell you on the catalog entry
          if the film is "restricted", or not allowed out of SLC.

          Some records are not allowed out, usually for reasons best understood by
          those who deny permission. For example, recently the Archdiocese of
          Mobile allowed the LDS church to film the local Catholic church records,
          but will not allow them to be viewed anywhere other than SLC or the
          Mobile FHC. So that is the "hottest ticket" at the FHC, with people
          coming from all over to access these records, one gentleman who comes
          all the way from Orlando FL every few months just to use those films.
          Why this stipulation is put on records I can't explain, but it comes
          from those who hold the records, not from the LDS library.

          Message 4 of 13 , May 27, 2000
            Please, leave me quite !
          • Legrisjm@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 27, 2000
              I fuck you !
            • Legrisjm@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 27, 2000
              • Legrisjm@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 27, 2000
                • Legrisjm@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 27, 2000
                  • sabinov@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 27, 2000
                      I think "not being considered for extraction" has to do with the LDS not
                      taking the names listed on that film for proxy baptisms into their
                      church, not to do with whether or not the film can leave the main
                      library.

                      Many of those you find in the IGI are "extracted" from microfilms, not
                      submitted by related family members. I am not a Mormon, but it's been
                      explained to me that their practice is to baptise those by proxy, and
                      then if the person does not wish to "accept" that religion in the
                      afterlife they don't have to. Or something like that. I do know that
                      many people have been complaining that they are finding relatives in the
                      IGI (meaning these baptisms and marriage sealings were done without
                      family permission)... in fact there was a big problem about a year or so
                      ago when a Jewish group found out that the Mormons "baptized" a lot of
                      people on some microfilm of those killed at concentration camps, and the
                      Mormons ended up pulling those names out of the IGI.

                      I'm not Mormon bashing or anything, just trying to explain what the IGI
                      is and what extractions are. So many people get upset about "I can't
                      find my person in the IGI", but they don't realize what the IGI is a
                      database -of-.

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 27, 2000
                        Maura,

                        I know that you weren't Mormon Bashing --- You explained what we do with the
                        records quite well. There is just one thing that I want to mention. I
                        realize that there were some folks (Jewish Ancestors) who were disturbed
                        about the name extraction program and the work that we do with proxy
                        baptisms, etc. However, it occurs to me that if a person doesn't believe in
                        what we are doing, then why get upset. If someone doesn't believe that what
                        we are doing matters and that their beliefs differ (we respect that) however,
                        then in their minds all of our efforts would be null and void, so whether we
                        do it don't shouldn't matter at all.

                        Hope that clears it up.

                        Joy An Johnson
                        Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA
                      • cherpaint@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 28, 2000
                          Thanks for the information. I know very little of the LDS or IGI, this is
                          very helpful. Carol Hopchak
                        • J. Michutka
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 28, 2000
                            At 02:46 PM 5/27/00 EDT, you wrote:

                            >I know that you weren't Mormon Bashing --- You explained what we do with the
                            >records quite well.

                            However, it occurs to me that if a person doesn't believe in
                            >what we are doing, then why get upset. If someone doesn't believe that what
                            >we are doing matters and that their beliefs differ (we respect that)
                            however,
                            >then in their minds all of our efforts would be null and void, so whether we
                            >do it don't shouldn't matter at all.

                            With all due respect: I see your point, however, 1) many people find it
                            offensive that Mormons are making these "efforts" in relation to people of
                            other religions who cannot speak or choose for themselves. Yes, I know
                            that the belief is that they can reject this in the afterlife, but they
                            should have been given the choice beforehand to start with. This is
                            especially offensive, I think, to those whose family members died for their
                            religion. It is very presumptuous to be doing something--or trying to do
                            something--to other peoples' deceased family.

                            2) "then why get upset"--"it shouldn't matter at all"; you would deny them
                            the right to have feelings about this?? They don't have to justify why
                            this upsets them! The mere fact that this upsets them should be (and
                            apparently was) reason to reconsider.

                            With regard to my own ancestors, I don't really care, because I don't
                            believe the Mormons' efforts will have any effect (as you pointed out
                            above). But I know people, especially Jews, who care very very much and
                            are very upset about this. So for that reason alone, I feel it should not
                            be done.

                            I realize that we are probably not going to agree on this issue; but I do
                            ask that you realize where others are coming from and not think that their
                            feelings about the issue aren't important.

                            Julie Michutka
                            jmm@...
                          • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 28, 2000
                              Point well taken ---- I do see their point --- I was just stating mine. Mine
                              not the Church's. The Church has come out and made statements concerning
                              their extraction program and when the Holocost records were being extracted
                              and the Jewish population became upset, they immediately stopped and promised
                              that they wouldn't continue. They have kept that promise and will continue
                              to do so.

                              I did and do not feel the need to take away the feelings of others, I was
                              just stating mine.

                              As for the people having the chance to make that choice for themselves in
                              this life, perhaps they didn't have that chance --- hence this is why we do
                              what we do as proxy representatives. We believe that an individual is an
                              individual and that they exist as such in the hereafter and can make their
                              own choices. That is also why we do what we do.

                              I hope that this clears up my statement.

                              Peace....

                              Joy Johnson