Re: [S-R] Child naming conventions in Slovakia

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2006
      In my grandfather's family from Abov, naming conventions were quite strictly observed going by the Lutheran church records back to 1770 or so. The oldest son was named after the father, and the name was recycled to a later born son if he died. The oldest daughter was usually named after the mother. Beyond that it's hard to tell because the name selections were so very limited -- 5 or 6 names for each sex in commoner families, until the end of the 19th century.