RE: [S-R] Child naming conventions in Slovakia

  • Frank R. Plichta
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24 11:13 AM
      David,

      Traditions are great when they are followed. How can you say with any
      degree of certainty that "Your family back then" followed the tradition? I
      would be cautious of making assumptions. You might find later that your
      tree has been "grafted" to another tree. It is better to follow the paper
      trail and not make too many assumptions.

      My understanding in Slovak families is that the oldest son is named after
      the father and the oldest daughter is named after the mother. If one of the
      children dies as an infant or young child, the next child born of that sex
      will be given the father's or mother's name. I did find one family in my
      research in Slovakia that during the early 1800's there were 6 sons named
      Mihaly (Michael). Each son died within a year of so just before the next
      child was born.

      Enjoy,

      Frank R. Plichta

      Galax, Virginia