KALNAS quandry

  • robert_shive
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2006
      My great aunt Mary Beganyi came to the US in late 1904. She married
      John Kalnas (Kolnacz per his marriage license application) in 1908 in
      Catasauqua, PA. Shortly afterward, they moved to Phillipsburg, NJ.

      According to family lore, Mary made a return visit to Slovakland
      sometime after the start of World War I. Supposedly she was "trapped"
      over there by the War and couldn't get back until well after its end.
      According to the story, she might not have been allowed back into the
      US at all except that her husband was a citizen. In trying to figure
      how much belief to put in this story, my main piece of information has
      been the 1930 census. In it, John and Mary are both listed as aliens,
      not even having filed a declaration of intention.

      On the Ellis Island website, I have found a manifest for the vessel
      Aquitania, which arrived at NYC from Cherbourg on 20 JUL 1923. Three
      of the passengers are Mary Kalmar (30), Marguerit Kalmar (13), and
      Arpad Kalmar (9). Their destination is Alpha, NJ, immediately next to
      Phillipsburg. Mary Kalmar's age makes her born in 1893; "my" Mary was
      born in late 1889. There is also a typed entry on Mary's line in the
      manifest that says Passport 110149.

      I can believe that it would be possible for someone typing a manifest
      from a handwritten list to mistake Kalnas for Kalmar. Based on what I
      know, the rest of the information is inconclusive--in the "maybe" realm.

      Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to proceed from here? What
      does "Passport 110149" mean? Is it a US number and if so can I get a
      copy of the application? Can a US passport even be issued to someone
      who is not a citizen? Questions upon questions.
    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2006
        The "alien" or "citizen" designation was made by the
        enumerator (these were reasonably educated people, but
        sometimes lacking in knowledge of Europe [and looking
        at their work they were not acquainted with any part
        of Europe east of the Rhine River]). These
        enumerators had the job of visiting each household and
        filling in the various blocks of the census forms. I
        swear that some of these public employees avoided
        particular parts of their districts. I know fo
        certain that some of my relatives lived in the same
        house for 35 years but only showed up on one census.

        Well, put away the soap box.

        You have provided a couple of spellings of the names -
        Kalnas, Kolnacz, Kalmar and several locations
        Phillipsburg, Catasauqua, New York City. I cannot
        find these names in the 1930 census.

        Where were they in 1930 and how were the names
        spelled?

        Regarding the alien classification, my great
        grandparents were listed a aliens and citizens in the
        1900, 1910, and 1920 cens(i)us depending who was
        filling out the form. Remember my relatives were new
        comers, they had accents and did not understand
        English and the enumerator was in a hurry - - - there
        were blocks and blocks of foreigners to be questioned,
        so why should there be a special investigation
        regarding answers? just write down what was thought
        to be heard.

        The story about returning to “the old country” is not
        unusual. My grandmother and her sister were born in
        the US in the 1890’s and her parents returned to
        Slovakia about 1897. My grandmother returned to the
        US I 1912; her sister and a brother born in Slovakia
        returned to the US in 1923. Being “trapped” during
        WW1 is understandable.

        Until you have the concrete data, everything has to be
        kept as a maybe. Do not add a point of data that
        feels good to you or seems to fit the picture. You
        must have the evidence.

        The passport information is interesting and is
        probably a very useful bit of data. I cannot help you
        understand the meaning of the number, it is certainly
        important.

        Best wishes.

        Dr. “Q”

        Want to start your own business?
        Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
        http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2006
          The same terminology is applied today. Even today Resident Aliens can get a
          passport (but not an illegal alien.) Is "USC" on the passport? That would
          mean the person is a united states citizen (birth or naturalized.)

          If the person began the naturalization process, there would be a record. If
          alive in 1939 and an alien, there would be a record (in the US immigration
          records which you can petition a copy of).
          There will not be a passport application.
          There is lot of good info on these pages worth reading on the topic, it will
          explain a lot:

          http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/Manifests/occ/

          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/EIDB_Errors.htm
          http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/eidbfaq.html

          The BCIS page has been recently reorganized and many good documents are now
          missing! - Anybody that can find the genealogy pages gets a prize!
          http://www.uscis.gov )
          Regards,
          Bill

          Bill

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Robert Shive
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2006
            Phillipsburg, NJ, is in west central New Jersey in Warren County along the Delaware River. It is directly across from Easton, PA, a moderately sized industrial city. Catasauqua is about 15 miles or so to the west on the Lehigh River between Lehigh and Northampton counties in PA. The whole area of the Lehigh Valley was a popular destination for Slovak workers because of the presence of Bethlehem Steel and numerous cement plants.

            I am attaching the 1910, 1920, and 1930 census pages that have John and Mary on them (*.pdf format). Though I am primarily interested at present in this family tale, tracking it has led me to several other questions that must be answered.

            I think the 1920 census sheet, which shows John alone as a lodger and no Mary, tends to give credence to at least part of the family tale.

            There actually were residents with the name Kalmar in the Phillipsburg area in the 1910, 1920 censuses. There are still people with the name Kalnas, though I'm not sure whether they are related to John's family.