Asking questions

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
      Interesting, interesting...
      No question is a stupid question?
      This is true for a child but not for an adult. Just think a little; with a question you can insult a person, you can make a fool of yourself etc. etc.
      It is very important how you place your question and in what context. And, there are questions, which you should never ask too.
      Technically speaking, the fact that you want to know something does not relieve you from consequences. Yes, we want to know all kinds of things.
      The subject which triggered this was the "zeliar". Although everything was explained correctly, the thread was going in a wrong direction and my "rude" reply was an emergency call to hold. I would have a bad conscience for not having done it. Now I have a bad reputation:-)
      Do you know the feeling when you are in a foreign place, ask for way and somebody who does not know sends you miles in a wrong direction?
      About anonimity:
      I am sick these days. Half time in the office, half time in bed. Tonight I had a bad sleep.
      Imagine you are a lawyer or something similar. Somebody comes in, masked, so you can not see his face, and asks you to give him some data from your files. No knocking on the door, no greeting, no introduction... What would you do?
      yes, there seems to be a considerable difference between american and european culture. Americans tend to use too many shortcuts which may not be accepted here very well. Not that they are mean. Americans are just too much isolated. Speak no languages, so they have problems with empathy.
      Once I was going to the Land Record office with an American. We had to wait outside for our turn. The door was locked. He was totally surprised. In our country, he said, there is nothing like this. If it is a public office you can just go in(??) Well, not here, if you want them to serve you nicely.
      On the other hand, I just recently received a bunch of documents from a US court, which would be here absolutely impossible.
      Well, it was an interesting discussion after all. In this way we learn about each other.
      Vladimir Bohinc

    • karens_roots
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
        Hello Everyone,

        I just wanted to add to this thread about "asking questions."

        I have read messages posted by new people to the groups I belong to
        followed by a "short" reply made by a member of the group. One
        example, I remember someone writing that they were looking for their
        g-grandparents (no names, no country, no dates) and could anyone
        help? I think the moderator or a group member should have told the
        person that the group would be happy to help with their search but
        here is a better way in which to format your request... Instead, it
        was "how do you expect us to help with a post like that."

        So I definitely agree it is how you post a question, but it is also
        important how you post the response.

        Please don't get upset with people that try to help and give
        misguided information. I am very, very new to genealogy. I have
        received a tremendous amount of help from many people in this group
        and others. Some people over and over again.

        I can't usually repay these favors because these experts are way
        beyond my knowledge in the area of genealogy but I do try to help new
        people that come to the list. I have ancestry.com at the moment so I
        will do lookups and post them, etc. I want to give back. I may have
        given bad information in the past but I think people accept it in the
        sense that it was given.

        Now about stupid questions. I don't think this only pertains to
        kids. I am an electrician by trade and was told that very thing when
        I was an apprentice. Now that I have apprentices that is what I tell
        them. If they don't know and are afraid to ask questions because
        they may get ridiculed, they can make a mistake and end up dead. I
        can actually laugh about the stupid things I thought and did when I
        started. I was afraid to ask the question, especially because I was
        a woman and I thought all the men knew this stuff because it was
        passed down in those male genes. lol

        Regarding your reputation, I am sure that you noted the number of
        positive responses you received from members of the group. I put
        more weight on answers you, Bill T., etc. post but I would never
        disregard anyone. Sometimes a less knowledgeable people can put a
        new spin on the subject and I can appreciate the thought and time
        behind it.

        If I insulted anyone, I apologize. The inflection of our voices can
        not be conveyed over an email so they can often be misconstrued. I
        think everyone on this list is well-intentioned and hopefully
        everyone has said their peace.

        I am Slovak by marriage only. I started looking for my family
        because I was going on a trip to Ireland and I began searching for
        his too. Just warning you in advance, I will probably be asking some
        more stupid questions :-)

        Karen

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
        wrote:

        > Interesting, interesting...
        > No question is a stupid question?
        > This is true for a child but not for an adult. Just think a little;
        with a question you can insult a person, you can make a fool of
        yourself etc. etc.
        > It is very important how you place your question and in what
        context. And, there are questions, which you should never ask too.

        SNIP
      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
          At 02:56 PM 2/11/2006, you wrote:

          >Hello Everyone,
          >
          >I just wanted to add to this thread about "asking questions."

          Poor old Confucius who is blamed for all these sayings. He supposedly
          said " a man who asks a question is a fool for a minute but a man who
          doesn't ask a question is a fool forever "

          Ask away, mostly i can't help but i will if I can.

          Nick
        • Antal Burjan
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
            And all the 'confucion' started with his saying .. though the spelling changed during the centuries....

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
              Dear all,
              One list which I am a member of is quite strict on questions. Very often the enquirer is directed to study the archives of the list for same and similar topics first before addressing the group. This is always being told in a very determined manner.
              Maybe there should be some simple and short rules for the newcomers so they would know how to formulate their problem in order to be most effective.
              I would definitely suggest that. The first thing they have to learn is to think and enquire systematically. This can be explained once and then everyone could benefit from it. ( I know there are myriads of guidelines out there, but they are mostly long and complicated. We could use a shorter and simpler version; by knowing what resources can the group provide this should not be difficult)
              I agree with Karen; this was not one of my best mails. ( I think it was me ?:-)
              Vladimir Bohinc

              going to bed again:-(

              wrote:

              > Interesting, interesting...
              > No question is a stupid question?
              > This is true for a child but not for an adult. Just think a little;
              with a question you can insult a person, you can make a fool of
              yourself etc. etc.
              > It is very important how you place your question and in what
              context. And, there are questions, which you should never ask too.

              SNIP

              http://www.eset.sk

            • K_Higgison
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
                Hi!

                I lost my login and password to access all the goodies on our group site. Does anyone know who can help me?

                Kathi
                Researching
                Kammer,Kalanin,Mesaros,Dzurko,Boledovich,Bunton,Simun,Baranek...Eastern Slovakia

              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2006
                  Kathi,
                  Create a new ID and log in. Also get a notebook to keep near the
                  computer where you can enter the different ID's and statistics you
                  submit to each of the places you must sign into. I vary my
                  statistics a bit at each place, keeping it close to reality to keep
                  their demographic analysis of users honest, and I go about my
                  business.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "K_Higgison" <khiggison@...>