Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Slovak Archives for 1878.

  • helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 23 2:31 PM
      In a message dated 5/23/0 7:02:59 PM, Walleyland@... writes:

      << Does anyone know the exact address of the Archives and if I can write them
      letter in English if I would have much luck getting a response? Would these
      records be in Slovakia archives or Hungary archives? If I wouldn't get a
      response in English, I may have to search for someone to write the letter
      for me in the native language. >>

      Hi Amanda -

      Klac'no was in old NITRA County and not sure if these records were filmed
      by the LDS Church. You can write to the main archive in Bratislava in
      English. You set a limit - say $100 and they will go back as far as they can
      and tell you if they could have gone further. Tho it takes awhile - works
      pretty well.

      Slovak Archives

      Write to:
      Statny oblasny archiv
      Krizkova 7
      811 04 Bratislava
      Slovak Republic
      Europe

      Give all the info you have and set a dollar limit for their research.

      This was an area of heavy German settlement - you might enjoy Duncan
      Gardiner's book on German settlements in Slovakia - which began in the year
      1100!

      Good luck!

      helene
    • SHRitchie
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23 2:49 PM
        Hi Helene and Amanda:

        Additionally, the Slovak Embassy has a website where you can print out your
        request and send it in, so try a search engine to find it. I don't have it
        at hand. I have written in English twice, just receiving a response to a
        second request in English yesterday.

        The first family report they sent was in Slovak, but you can understand it
        with a good Slovak dictionary, and maybe folks on this list. People are
        usually helpful.

        It was rather stunning, the Archives did a fine job.

        Sharon

[...]

        Remember the good 'ol days
        http://click.egroups.com/1/4053/0/_/545880/_/959117475/
      • sabinov@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23 4:20 PM
          If you can do it yourself, most of the areas of what is now the Slovak
          Republic are filmed by the LDS church and are available via your FHC.
          Sending to the Slovak Archives is ok, but it takes a long time and
          anytime you get someone else to do it for you they are going to miss
          things.

          When I first started and didn't realize the Sabinov records were filmed
          I had a study done, and they missed many children I had not known of but
          later found myself in the records. I also found more than they did and
          went back 2 more generations.

          The areas in what is now the Czech Republic have not been filmed, so for
          those areas you really don't have a choice. But I'd heartily recommend
          doing research in microfilms for areas in the Slovak Republic yourself
          if you can do it..... you'll find more and enjoy it more also!

        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23 4:32 PM
            Amen to that. Plus you find out things like who their friends were that
            acted as godparents and marriage witnesses, and their social status in many
            cases, and what they died of... if you can figure out the archaic terms in
            Latin, Hungarian, etc.

            I have had a wonderful time researching my family in church records that I
            got through the LDS.

          • Madrobnak@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 23 4:43 PM
              Please let the list know this address. Mary Anne
            • sabinov@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 6 , May 23 5:13 PM
                Yes, I've found many siblings of those I was researching by finding them
                as godparents and then searching around the films until I found their
                birth or marriage which listed the same parents as the one I was
                researching.

                And don't let the language issue deter you from doing it yourself....
                you get used to the key words very fast, and most of us develop our own
                "cheat sheet" with the translations of the headings and basic words.
                Honestly, it's not that bad.

                (my only problem is trying to read them in a loud FHC.... but that's
                another issue)