Re: [S-R] Girus Danielis

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
      People traveled quite extensively and it is easy enough to have a
      hot spot of influence come in with a wave of settlers. The Girus
      name could easily be Latinized, or even a Lithuanian derivative.
      The Russians als have quite a long history with similar names that
      could have been modified to local conditions:
      Gira (m) -- var of Giria.
      Giria (m) -- Giria, brother of Ivanets Naumovich. 1552. [Tup 103]
      Dims: Girka (Girka Naumovich, Zhytomyr craftsman). 1552. [Tup 103]
      Vars: Gira (Gira Petrov ziat', Chernobyl' craftsman). 1552. [Tup
      103]
      Hira (Hira Gavrilovich, lord's peasant). 1565. [Tup 104]
      Hyra (Hyra Pronets, Liuboml'sk peasant). 1564. [Tup 103-4]

      More searching and a reading of the local history may well reveal if
      there was an outside influence in selecting the name.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
      wrote:

      > There are about a dozen people with the given name of Girus in the
      1715 > Census, including your Girus Danielis. All of them were from
      Szepes megye.
      > Since these records were in Latin, it is difficult to determine
      what he was > actually called, but I find it interesting that the
      name usually appears > among German names. Its use was so localized,
      it is probably not > translatable to any name we would recognize.