Re: Example of rude behavior

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 31, 2006
      Carl,

      I found the reply direct and no-nonsense, not insulting. Europeans
      are often more direct and honest than we are in America where an
      answer can be hidden by so much beating around the bush. In this
      case I found it quite proper. I took it that Mr. Bohinc expressed
      his opinion and was not ready to talk about it indefinitely.

      The choice is yours; either accept his proposal or follow other
      leads and prove him wrong. I see no fault in him not wishing to
      discuss it without end.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik"
      <kkotlarc@...> wrote:

      > This is an example of what I consider a rude reply. I now
      recognize > that the word is probably "zeliar". But my inquiry was
      legitimate > and did not deserve the rude and patronizing reply that
      I > received. This has got to stop. I am a proud Slovak who will
      not > be treated as a second class person. No one in this group
      should be > afraid to post a question for fear of being insulted by
      > the "professionals".
      >
      > I believe my questions are presented in a dignified and polite
      > manner. I expect the same type of reply and so should everyone
      else > in this group.
      > Carl Kotlarchik
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Carl,
      > > Please, please. This is not a subject which allows second
      opinion.
      > Waste of time. Zeliar is what I said; a man who only owed a house.
      > > Zelezar ( from zelezo=iron in slovenian or zeljezo in croat) is
      > ironworker, but all this has nothing to do with you.
      > > Vladimir

      The
      > > family came from Gomor county which is in the ore mountains.
      So,
      > > there was mining all around my ancestor's villages. My
      > grandmother
      > > also once told me that her father worked in a guarry. So, this
      > would
      > > fit. But the on-line dictionaries list "banik" as the word for
      > > miner in Slovak and "ba'nya'sz" in Hungarian. Does anyone else
      > > recognize the word "z'eljar" as possibly "iron ore miner".
      > > Carl
      > >

      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R.
      > (JArmata)"
      > > <JArmata@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > That's the same as zeliar, or zseller in Hungarian, or
      > inquilinus
      > > in
      > > > Latin - someone who owns his house and just a very small
      plot
      > of
      > > land.
      > > > In English sometimes called a cotter.
      > > >
      > > > Joe

    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 1, 2006
        At 01:46 PM 1/11/2006, you wrote:

        >Carl,
        >
        >I found the reply direct and no-nonsense,

        So what was rude about that. Never mind Europeans being more direct I
        am Australian and I am very direct,I don't reply to anything anonymous.

        Vladimir is one of the good guys, he doesn't need defence from me but
        he gets it anyway.

        Nick
      • Dr. Joe Q.
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 1, 2006
          RUDE

          a word that is frequently thrown out but little understood.

          TRITE, SHORT, MISUNDERSTOOD

          Perhaps, but rude is rarely used in proper context. Generally it is used
          in an accusatory format as a defensive response to something that was
          not expected.

          Never the less one of the best internet precepts is:

          Do not annoy and do not be easily annoyed.

          Valdimir Bohinc has provided years of advice and information to list
          members (would you believe that this is not the only list he belongs
          to???). He is a professional genealogist, he has the capability to solve
          a mystery that Perry Mason, Columbo, and the Defenders could not handle.
          He is a sincere and dedicated worker, you can trust him to do his best
          and he will probably charge you less than his stated fees.

          He not only likes to know the identity of his clients, it is necessary
          to know this conduct his research.

          He is no more rude or unfamiliar with the habits of “Americans”. The
          Eastern European way of thinking is not materially different than those
          of us in the USA.

          This has become much ado about nothing.

          Dr. “Q