Re: [S-R] Girus Danielis

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
      Hi Thomas

      I'm not sure if this will help in the present case of GIRUS, but the
      following is an excellent website regarding the etymology and history of names, and
      contains a large number of name variations according to language. It may be
      worth looking over. The site is actually a lot of fun and contains some
      great facts regarding the origin of the various names.

      _http://www.behindthename.com/_ (http://www.behindthename.com/)

      Best regards,

      David

    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
        People traveled quite extensively and it is easy enough to have a
        hot spot of influence come in with a wave of settlers. The Girus
        name could easily be Latinized, or even a Lithuanian derivative.
        The Russians als have quite a long history with similar names that
        could have been modified to local conditions:
        Gira (m) -- var of Giria.
        Giria (m) -- Giria, brother of Ivanets Naumovich. 1552. [Tup 103]
        Dims: Girka (Girka Naumovich, Zhytomyr craftsman). 1552. [Tup 103]
        Vars: Gira (Gira Petrov ziat', Chernobyl' craftsman). 1552. [Tup
        103]
        Hira (Hira Gavrilovich, lord's peasant). 1565. [Tup 104]
        Hyra (Hyra Pronets, Liuboml'sk peasant). 1564. [Tup 103-4]

        More searching and a reading of the local history may well reveal if
        there was an outside influence in selecting the name.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
        wrote:

        > There are about a dozen people with the given name of Girus in the
        1715 > Census, including your Girus Danielis. All of them were from
        Szepes megye.
        > Since these records were in Latin, it is difficult to determine
        what he was > actually called, but I find it interesting that the
        name usually appears > among German names. Its use was so localized,
        it is probably not > translatable to any name we would recognize.