Re: [S-R] trying to contact Vladimir Bohinc

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 30, 2006
      Dear maly posluhac,
      I hardly know you. I mean, I don't know you at all.
      You would like a service from me, but do not care to address me and sign the mail with your name. During years I adopted a policy to leave such mails unanswered. I do believe you that you would appreciate receiving information, yes. This I do believe.
      I am answering this mail in open for others to see, what is not a proper way to ask somebody to do something for you.
      Vladimir Bohinc

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
        Mr. Bohinc,
        When I had tried to contact you via e-mail and instant messenger, I
        did not realize that you do genealogical searches as a profession,
        and had assumed that you were, in some distant way, related to
        myself. Furthurmore, I had, incorrectly, assumed that your name was a
        screen name, and not your actual name. As I guard my privacy online,
        I do not use my real name. I did not mean to offend you, and
        apologize for any offenses I may have caused.
        Yours respectfully,
        Maly

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear maly posluhac,
        > I hardly know you. I mean, I don't know you at all.
        > You would like a service from me, but do not care to address me and
        sign the mail with your name. During years I adopted a policy to
        leave such mails unanswered. I do believe you that you would
        appreciate receiving information, yes. This I do believe.
        > I am answering this mail in open for others to see, what is not a
        proper way to ask somebody to do something for you.
        > Vladimir Bohinc

      • Carl Kotlarchik
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
          Something has got to be done with the intimidation that a few
          members exert against novices at this website. I for one am tired
          about getting lectured by individuals who are "professional"
          researchers. The individual who posted this message was only trying
          to find information about their family. Perhaps it was not the most
          diplomatic question but it did not deserve the ugly and repulsive
          reply. I, myself, have posted questions and have been insulted by
          the same individual. OK, perhaps we don't all have the same degree
          of knowledge about Slovak genealogy that some of the most
          experienced have. But that is what this web site should be
          providing.

          I am very grateful for the information that the "professional"
          members provide to us. And I recognize that they need to be
          compensated for the specific work that they do for us. But, when we
          chose not to use their services, we should not have to be insulted
          by them.

          I am very angry about this and if our website director will not
          police this then I intend to take it to the next higher level of the
          yayoogroups site. We should all be able to make inquires without
          the fear of insult and intimidation.

          Carl Kotlarchik

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maly_posluchac"
          <musiced1999@...> wrote:

          > Mr. Bohinc,
          > When I had tried to contact you via e-mail and instant messenger,
          > did not realize that you do genealogical searches as a profession,
          > and had assumed that you were, in some distant way, related to
          > myself. Furthurmore, I had, incorrectly, assumed that your name
          was a
          > screen name, and not your actual name. As I guard my privacy
          online,
          > I do not use my real name. I did not mean to offend you, and
          > apologize for any offenses I may have caused.
          > Yours respectfully,
          > Maly
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear maly posluhac,
          > > I hardly know you. I mean, I don't know you at all.
          > > You would like a service from me, but do not care to address me
          and
          > sign the mail with your name. During years I adopted a policy to
          > leave such mails unanswered. I do believe you that you would
          > appreciate receiving information, yes. This I do believe.
          > > I am answering this mail in open for others to see, what is not
          > proper way to ask somebody to do something for you.
          > > Vladimir Bohinc

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
            The problem that is identified here concerns not so much who is insulting
            whom, but a matter of cultural differences. Americans on the whole are far
            more casual in their communication than those from Central Europe. The
            latter lay great importance on what they consider polite and proper forms,
            especially when writing. I don't think either Vladimir or "Maly" intended to
            be insulting. But they failed to communicate as a result of not recognizing
            this cultural divide and each ended up feeling insulted by the other.

            Please let us not get into a blame game.

            Janet

          • bemimitwo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
              Thank you !.....well said!
              I was about to say the same thing but you said it better!

              I have learned so much about genealogy from all of the people in this group.
              It is just
              Unbelievable that they give so much time to all of us. They re-answer
              questions that have been asked over and over as new people join. Every person is at a
              different level of their quest and still they try to accommodate.
              Thank you all!
              Jennifer

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
                Dear Maly,

                I have 4 people listing Skapik in the Slovak Pride data base and

                one listing for Sladicek, plus several for Sladik and one for Sladkova

                If you would like to have the contact information - just get back to me on my regular e mail helenezx@...

                would like to have your surnames and villages to add to the list-

                caujko

                helene

              • Vladimir Bohinc
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Dear Maly,
                  I must admit I am not very much used to communicate with people who do not reveal their real name.
                  I also do not have instant messenger switched on, so I received your mail and your second mail to the list simultaneously.
                  I see, some people find my response rude etc. This was not my intention at all. Compared to what has been seen on slovak lists before this is almost like " maybe I could even like you.."
                  I was not insulted at all.
                  Whoever asked me about the names got a positive reply. But, as you already have been told by others, here in Europe, me particularly, we have different customs.
                  Imagine, what I have to do, when I want something from somebody here; I have not only to fully identify ( verifyable) myself, but also have to use a very formal way of explaining everything and compose my letter or message in a way that will motivate the other party to move and do something for me.
                  Not seldom I have to send money or send an additional fax or make a call. An enquiry without such formalities is always ignored.
                  Although I do this as a profession I very very often provide various services for free. My motivation is not only money but also pleasure with helping someone who needs help. here I have to make a good blend of the two, since there is no work, which does not take time and this is limited with me.
                  I do this for living.
                  So, the real minimum what I expect from another party is to take the trouble and address me with my name and sign with his/her name.
                  Then I will take the trouble and look for information and send a report.
                  Internet is fine, but it tends to reduce all those formalities to the level where I do not feel comfortable any more. Of course, it is different, when I communicate with a friend.
                  Other lists which I am a member of strictly require full name and address etc. This is more to my liking.
                  To encourage others who want to contact me I even included my photo, which is not very common. I have nothing to hide.
                  So, deal Little Listener, I will have a look what I have on your names, but would welcome if you could tell me more about the problem on your side. This would help me in preparing the answer to you better.
                  With best regards,
                  Vladimir Bohinc

                  wrote:

                  > Dear maly posluhac,
                  > I hardly know you. I mean, I don't know you at all.
                  > You would like a service from me, but do not care to address me and
                  sign the mail with your name. During years I adopted a policy to
                  leave such mails unanswered. I do believe you that you would
                  appreciate receiving information, yes. This I do believe.
                  > I am answering this mail in open for others to see, what is not a
                  proper way to ask somebody to do something for you.
                  > Vladimir Bohinc

                  http://www.eset.sk

                • Vladimir Bohinc
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
                    Dear maly posluhac,
                    There is another consideration regarding anonimity. What if my worst competitor is trying to obtain information from me?
                    I hope you will understand why I want to know who is who.
                    With best regards,
                    Vladimir Bohinc

                    http://www.eset.sk