Re: [S-R] Girus Danielis

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
      Hi Thomas:

      GIRUS could possibly be a vulgar Latin form of GYRUS meaning "circle" in
      Latin. The form DANIELIS appears to be in a Latin form, but at this late hour
      of the day I cannot find the proper declension. You may want to GOOGLE both
      name forms..

      Best regards,

      David

      Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
      DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
      SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
      DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
      (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
      HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
      TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
      WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

    • treimer@nycap.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
        Girus is definitly used as first name in the list. Now the villagers
        were Lutheran, but could it be some lesser-known Saint?

        Thomas

        > GIRUS could possibly be a vulgar Latin form of GYRUS meaning
        > "circle" in
        > Latin. The form DANIELIS appears to be in a Latin form, but at
        > this late hour
        > of the day I cannot find the proper declension. You may want to
        > GOOGLE both
        > name forms..
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > David
        >
        > Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages
        > of
        > DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA,
        > MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
        > SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the
        > villages of
        > DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following
        > surnames: BALOGA
        > (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK,
        > HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
        > HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN,
        > RUSZBACZKY,
        > TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT,
        > MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
        > WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and
        > KROSNO, POLAND.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • TR HOMEMAIL
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
          Janet,

          Thanks for looking at the other mentions in the Census, I was going to do so
          this week-end.

          I found a few scattered mentions while aimlessly searching on the internet,
          a jewish Girus Berliner in Plock (Poland) in 1810, and a Dr. Girus Koch who
          was part of the German administration in the Ukraine in 1941. So it is
          clearly a personal name, but a rare one, and probably quite restricted to a
          region. As the isolated mentions among German-Jews (Plock) and Germans (Dr.
          Koch) a long time after my ancestor in 1715 may indicate, the name might
          have been used outside of the Zips later, but again, only rarely, and
          perhaps by people with ancestral ties or some other connection to it.

          I welcome any suggestions about what recognizable name it could be? Or if
          Girus cannot be modernized, then some roots of the name.

          Danke

          Thomas

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
            Hi Thomas

            I'm not sure if this will help in the present case of GIRUS, but the
            following is an excellent website regarding the etymology and history of names, and
            contains a large number of name variations according to language. It may be
            worth looking over. The site is actually a lot of fun and contains some
            great facts regarding the origin of the various names.

            _http://www.behindthename.com/_ (http://www.behindthename.com/)

            Best regards,

            David

          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
              People traveled quite extensively and it is easy enough to have a
              hot spot of influence come in with a wave of settlers. The Girus
              name could easily be Latinized, or even a Lithuanian derivative.
              The Russians als have quite a long history with similar names that
              could have been modified to local conditions:
              Gira (m) -- var of Giria.
              Giria (m) -- Giria, brother of Ivanets Naumovich. 1552. [Tup 103]
              Dims: Girka (Girka Naumovich, Zhytomyr craftsman). 1552. [Tup 103]
              Vars: Gira (Gira Petrov ziat', Chernobyl' craftsman). 1552. [Tup
              103]
              Hira (Hira Gavrilovich, lord's peasant). 1565. [Tup 104]
              Hyra (Hyra Pronets, Liuboml'sk peasant). 1564. [Tup 103-4]

              More searching and a reading of the local history may well reveal if
              there was an outside influence in selecting the name.

              Ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>