Re: [S-R] Stephen Fry -\

  • Jan Ammann
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 29, 2006
      Vladimir........Thanks for this interesting information. I guess that even though we all try very hard to believe that "the world is the same everywhere.......that we are in the 21st century.....that all is well for everyone", but this is not always true.

      You had an extraordinary opportunity that let you "see" and be "a part of" an event that made you stop and think. And to be very frank here, made me stop and think and also probably a lot of our posters on this board.

      And I actually was not kidding about you being a "star" for if you were "just being yourself" then you did shine very brightly! And that is all that counts in the long run. That sometimes in our lives we do "sparkle" and we do add "just a little bit of light" into the darkness.

      The dead and the forgotten of Surany have no real voice but today you did speak for them. And I was very glad to listen..........Jan

      Vladimir Bohinc <konekta@...> wrote:
      The other day, when I visited the Surany mayor again he said very proudly :" Surany are famous! Imagine, some slovak workers, who are working in Ireland, were watching TV and saw the movie. Surany! They came home and could not wait to tell that to the mayor. And he could not wait to tell that to me.:-) Mad me happy too.
      There is another very interesting observation I made in Surany. Shortly after the shooting of the movie was finished, they officially inaugurated the reconstructed synagogue in town. I was there. The synagogue was full of invited guests. But, almost none from Surany. The area around synagogue was sealed off by police almost along the same boundaries as there were when the hungarians made a small ghetto and sueezed all 600 odd Jews in it.
      Local population avoided the event.
      I was wondering what kind of message was this supposed to be. Who to whom?
      I still don't know.
      Was it :"We are different. Keep off.?"
      Or was it:" You are different. Stay there;"
      Everything was "as it should be", but I had mixed feelings.
      Jewish population in Surany was strong and lived in good symbiosis with local population. There were no pogroms or things like that. But after watching the movie a couple of times one gets the impression, that Holocaust is a syn Surany have to bear. I do not agree with that.

      Oh, about the star:-)
      I never thought that way. There are all kinds of them; shooting, falling..... Actually I did not do any starring. I was myself.
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 29, 2006
        What movie are you all discussing? Was it a video for TV? I live in
        California and I don't remember even seeing anything about this movie. Helen
        Ruatti

        On 10/29/06, Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

        > Only an autograph on a shiny photograph will suffice!
        > Look for it on eBay! :)
        >
        > Bill

      • Amanda Lovitt
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 29, 2006
          What is the name of the movie/program please?

          I missed the beginning of the thread (called a mad household!).

          Nick, if you've got it taped, it must have been on in Western Australia - or on foxtel or something.

          Clues please?

          Thanks

          Amanda Lovitt
          Australind

        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 29, 2006
            At 09:20 PM 29/10/2006, you wrote:

            >I did his genealogy in Slovakia. Didn't you recognize me in the movie?:-)
            >Vladimir

            Vladimir and all, I did tape the last part of the show. I just
            finished watching it.
            I cried with Stephen and I still have tears in my eyes.
            I feel exactly like he does I know that most of my father's family
            was murdered in the camps but seeing it in the records makes me cry again.
            I would like to repeat what he said but that is not acceptable to a
            lot of you so I will just say

            that expletive word Auswich.

            Nick
          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 30, 2006
              HI all my hard cover book about st. James in Levoca has just been
              published in Levoca.

              Vladi
            • gklodzen@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 31, 2006
                In a message dated 10/29/2006 4:42:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                janammann@... writes:

                << And that is all that counts in the long run. That sometimes in our lives
                we do "sparkle" and we do add "just a little bit of light" into the darkness.

                So very true, Jan. Reminds me of what I often heard as a child about the
                significance of lighting just "one little candle"

                New to the list, and enjoying all the commentary,
                Gene Klodzen
              • Jan Ammann
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 31, 2006
                  Hello and welcome to you Gene....

                  I am sure I speak for a lot of members who also welcome you!!! This is one of the finest lists on the Web...........nice and intelligent and knowledgeable people who are helpful and will do their very best to help you on any question you may ask.

                  This membership is worldwide and therefore we not only learn new "stuff" but we also learn to know and respect people who live in different surroundings.

                  So.........good luck in your searching!!!..............and again...........as we say in Texas...."glad to hav ya!"..........smile............

                  Jan