Magyar to English translation for 1869 census

  • David Holoshka (LD/EAB)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2006
      Hi,

      Can anyone translate this notation in the census ? I have found three
      young children with a different surname living with a family in
      Slovakia. Here is the transcription. Bear in mind that I may have made
      a mistake transcribing the script. I assume they are adopted children
      of a close relative to Maria.

      1 Oravecz Pal head of house
      2 Maria wife
      .
      .
      .
      Holoska Istvan f:Ora. vecr Maria l.hazas sag beli fia :1 age 10
      (note vecr may be vecz)
      Holoska Pal ugyan annak fia age 4
      Holoska Janos ugyan annak fia age 2
      Oravecz Fla. ris Pal fia age 1

      Thanks in advance

      David

    • John Venham
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 26, 2006
        My two cents:

        > Can anyone translate this notation in the census ?
        > I have found three
        > young children with a different surname living with
        > a family in
        > Slovakia.

        > 1 Oravecz Pal head of house
        > 2 Maria wife
        > .
        > .
        > .
        > Holoska Istvan f:Ora. vecr Maria l.hazas sag
        > beli fia :1 age 10

        "Oravecs Maria's son from first (1.) marriage"

        > Holoska Pal ugyan annak fia age 4
        > Holoska Janos ugyan annak fia age 2

        'ugyan annak fia' = 'son of the same' or
        'his/her/their son...similar to that (status of first
        son)

        > Oravecz Fla. ris Pal fia age 1

        'Pal fia' clearly means 'son of Pal'
        Fla. and ris, I don't know...