"Kosailne" examples

  • squinch42
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2006
      I uploaded a FILE today entitled "Ancestor Document" showing a cropped
      extract from an 1840 Orlov church record. The spelling of "Kosailne"
      differs between the groom and witness. The former appears to be
      Kosailne while the latter could be Kosailno or Kosailnu. The word
      appears where the "place name" normally appears in Orlov's records.

      Other poorly written versions (yes, the rest are worse examples)
      appear to be written as Kosculno, Koseuhrusen, Koszavnai and Koslyelne
      as near as I can determine. I do not have jpg files for these,
      unfortunately. I have ordered the LDS 1869 census film for Kozselecz
      to see if the handwriting is similar but would appreciate the board
      taking another look at this.

      The last appearance of this place name occurs in an 1847 birth record.
      It is sandwiched between a record for Orlo and Andrejovka, so I know
      it is a place, not an occupation, social ranking or other piece of
      information. The same placement exists on an 1846 death record for a
      child. After 1847, all place references show "Orlo" (Orlov).

      All opinions are welcomed.
    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2006
        Thanks for the upload; having a hundred pairs of eyes on it will
        probably be the best thing you can have.

        As second best, go to
        http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp
        and type in "Slovakia" and "Orlov" and they will come up with a list
        of settlements within 10 miles (or 10 km if you prefer), along with
        current names and some older names for the same location.

        I read among the K's: Krendželovka; Krempach, Kremná; Kriviany,
        Krivany; Krá¾ova Studòa; Kamenica; Kyjov; Kozelec; and Šenviz,
        Krásna Lúka.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@...>