Luèivná church records available

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 9, 2006
      >>> researching Bachledova,s-Bachleda's in the Lucivna region.<<<

      CENTER (FHC)
      www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
      (zomreli).

      LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages,
      deaths and confirmations for Luèivná, Slovakia, formerly Lucsivna,
      Szepes, Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Nižna Šuòava and Vyšná
      Šuòava, formerly known as Alsó-Sunyava and Felsõ-Sunyava.

      Krstení 1762-1789 Krstení 1779-1840 Rodná kniha 1816-1876 Sobášení
      1762-1791 Sobášení 1779-1817 Zomrelí 1762-1791 NIŽNÁ ŠUÒAVA a VYŠNÁ
      ŠUÒAVA Krstení 1762-1843 Sobášení 1762-1839 Zomrelí 1762-1808
      Birmovaní 1872, 1881, 1883, 1897 - FHL INTL Film [ 1739395 Items 3-
      5 ]

      Birmovaní 1897, 1908 Sobášení 1877-1878, 1880-1881, 1887 Sobášení
      1905-1923, 1943, 1945-1946 Status animarum Zomrelí 1808-1843
      Birmovaní 1921 Krstení 1844-1880 Sobášení 1844-1880 Zomrelí 1844-
      1880 Sobášení 1881-1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1739396 ]

      Sobášení 1895-1896 Krstení 1881-1897 Zomrelí 1881-1909 - FHL INTL
      Film [ 1739397 Items 1-2 ]

      Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
      to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
      film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
      research.
    • Jim Simon
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 13, 2006
        Is anyone familiar with this village or area and is there anyone who knows
        someone who lives in this area that I might correspond with.

        I am pretty frustrated in trying to locate my Grandmother's, Mary Elizabeth
        COLPAK, family. She was born in Gyorke on 23 July 1890 to John and
        Szusanna(b 7 Jul 1867) COLPAK. My frustration probably comes from not
        knowing how the family spelled the last name. Her brother John spelled it
        COLPOK and my Grandmother often used KOLPAK. Family tradition has it that
        father John died in then Hungary and then followed the immigration of mother
        Szusanna, daughter Maria and son John (b 27 Apr 1892) to the US in 1901.
        Mother Szusanna's sister Mary was already in the US and married. Ergo the
        reason for the immigration. After about a year Szusanna married again to
        Michael Bobcak (Bobchak, Bobzak, Bobchak) in Marion County, WV. Maria
        married Albert SIMON in 1909 in Marion County, WV. Albert was of the
        Hungarian Reformed (Calvinist) religion and I believe Maria's Colpak family
        as well was. Szusanna's second husband was from Zemplin County, Hungary and
        was of the Catholic religion. Mother Szusanna's maiden name was LACKO
        (Lasko, Laszko, Letsco)and her father was Stephen LACKO (b ca 1838) and
        mother Mary HORNJAK.

        Things I would like to find out:
        Correct spelling of COLPAK
        Correct spelling of LACKO
        Are these families in local records?
        Is John COLPAK's death recorded there?
        Is John and Szusanna's marriage recorded?
        Confirmation of the family's immigration
        Are there any relatives still in the village?
        Any other information about the families and individuals.

        I appreciate any and all leads and I hope to visit Gyorke in about 2 years,
        My Best wishes,
        Jim Simon
      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 13, 2006
          Dear Jim,

          The name is spelled Kolpak in the Slovak telephone directory
          (http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/?co=st_zoznam_en). There are 19 listed with this
          name, but none from Durkov. There are a couple in Kosice, but most seem to
          be in the Presov area.

          Most of your questions could be answered easily by looking at the
          microfilmed church records at your local Family History Center. It sounds
          like you have not yet done that. The village of Gyorke (now Durkov SK) had a
          Reformed church. If your family was not Reformed, you may have to look for a
          nearby village that had a church of the appropriate religion.

          Janet

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 13, 2006
            >>> I am pretty frustrated in trying to locate my Grandmother's, Mary
            Elizabeth COLPAK, family. She was born in Gyorke on 23 July 1890 to
            John and Szusanna(b 7 Jul 1867) COLPAK.<<<

            What RELIGION?

            When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village
            is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally,
            so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also
            necessary to know the religion.
          • Jim Simon
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 13, 2006
              Please note as it was given as Calvinist (Hungarian Reformed)

              >>> I am pretty frustrated in trying to locate my Grandmother's, Mary
              Elizabeth COLPAK, family. She was born in Gyorke on 23 July 1890 to John and
              Szusanna(b 7 Jul 1867) COLPAK.<<<

              What RELIGION?

              When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is
              paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is
              not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the
              religion.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 13, 2006
                In 1910 the village makeup was:
                207 roman catholic
                110 Greek Catholic
                301 Reformed

                Chance are high that if born in said village he was of one of the above
                religions. Calvinist is too different from RC and GC, so chances are also
                high he was Reformed (not a promise, just a high probability.)

                I agree with Janet, go pull the microfilm of these church records and see
                what you find.

                Good luck!

                Bill