RE: [S-R] finding village names

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
      Re: . LDS seems to search only with the spelling you give it, so if it is
      one letter wrong, you will come up
      empty.

      It's probably worthy of note that the LDS place search has an implicit
      wildcard in their search form. For example, if you search on the town "Mun",
      it returns all locations that begin with Mun. Sometimes that helps,
      sometimes it doesn't. It depends on where the error is.

      Jim

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
        >>> There is a Mormon Temple here where I live with a research
        library. I assume that the LDS is the Mormon Church Library. Do you
        know if they have this information readily available without having to
        order anything?<<<

        The availabity of records is on line. You can check that yourself.
        Your local Family Histry Center has no secret database of info.
        Neither do they have an intimate knowledge of Ukraine.

        >>> Also...question 2.....I had asked about my family towns in the
        Carpathian Mountains...the towns are Munkacs, Szolyva, Zugo,
        Beregszasz, because at one time I remember Bill saying that this area
        was not yet microfilmed . . . > certainly Hungary back in 1869. NOW
        the area is the UKRAINE . . . So my question is, does anyone know if
        this area has the records on file available to research or am I
        wasting time with this search.<<<

        Wasting time.
      • matt_procter
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
          I too was very confused when I visited my ancestral village (Stiavnik)
          last winter. A house numbered 1200 could be right beside one number
          216. There was absolutely no rhyme or reason. Drove around for an
          hour, trying to find the right house.

          One thing I heard later was that in smaller villages houses were
          numbered as they were built, regardless of exact location on a street.
          This would support the previous note regarding house numbers getting
          higher as they get farther away from the church. Also, there were no
          street names in most smaller villages. Your address was just a number,
          followed by the village name.
        • Slovak American
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
            Matt,

            I'd love to hear more about your first visit to your ancestral village. What was it like? What was it like seeing it for the first time? Was it what you imagined? Did you find relatives there?

            Patrick
            http://slovakamerican.blogspot.com/

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
              For newbies, an important note. As Vladimir indicates, sometimes the house
              number is relative to the village, not to a street at all. Sometimes in the
              past, a house would collapse (not uncommon) and the occupants would rebuild
              elsewhere and take their number with them. It's also important to note that
              not long ago, exacting precision regarding identity and location were
              unnecessary. Everyone knew who everyone was and where they lived and many
              things about each other. Not a lot of need for paperwork.
              Bt