RE: [S-R] finding village names

  • Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
      You're quite welcome. Something else you might want to consider, perhaps
      you have the spelling of the village wrong. LDS seems to search only with
      the spelling you give it, so if it is one letter wrong, you will come up
      empty. Check your spellings. One place you can use is
      http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp This wonderful site will
      look for villages using soundex, meaning it will come up with lots of
      possibilities for the village name you enter. If you know about where your
      village is on a map, you could also enter the name of a bigger city and then
      in the possibilities it gives you, click on the dot in the last column
      marked "10 mile radius", and it gives you all the villages nearby. Another
      nice feature is that it often gives you the name of the village now and what
      it used to be called. Once you find your village, go back to the LDS page
      and enter in the new spelling and see if they have any records. There are
      lots of records from Ukraine, just not everywhere has been filmed yet.

      Happy hunting,
      Marilyn

      _____

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
        Re: . LDS seems to search only with the spelling you give it, so if it is
        one letter wrong, you will come up
        empty.

        It's probably worthy of note that the LDS place search has an implicit
        wildcard in their search form. For example, if you search on the town "Mun",
        it returns all locations that begin with Mun. Sometimes that helps,
        sometimes it doesn't. It depends on where the error is.

        Jim

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
          >>> There is a Mormon Temple here where I live with a research
          library. I assume that the LDS is the Mormon Church Library. Do you
          know if they have this information readily available without having to
          order anything?<<<

          The availabity of records is on line. You can check that yourself.
          Your local Family Histry Center has no secret database of info.
          Neither do they have an intimate knowledge of Ukraine.

          >>> Also...question 2.....I had asked about my family towns in the
          Carpathian Mountains...the towns are Munkacs, Szolyva, Zugo,
          Beregszasz, because at one time I remember Bill saying that this area
          was not yet microfilmed . . . > certainly Hungary back in 1869. NOW
          the area is the UKRAINE . . . So my question is, does anyone know if
          this area has the records on file available to research or am I
          wasting time with this search.<<<

          Wasting time.
        • matt_procter
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
            I too was very confused when I visited my ancestral village (Stiavnik)
            last winter. A house numbered 1200 could be right beside one number
            216. There was absolutely no rhyme or reason. Drove around for an
            hour, trying to find the right house.

            One thing I heard later was that in smaller villages houses were
            numbered as they were built, regardless of exact location on a street.
            This would support the previous note regarding house numbers getting
            higher as they get farther away from the church. Also, there were no
            street names in most smaller villages. Your address was just a number,
            followed by the village name.
          • Slovak American
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
              Matt,

              I'd love to hear more about your first visit to your ancestral village. What was it like? What was it like seeing it for the first time? Was it what you imagined? Did you find relatives there?

              Patrick
              http://slovakamerican.blogspot.com/

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                For newbies, an important note. As Vladimir indicates, sometimes the house
                number is relative to the village, not to a street at all. Sometimes in the
                past, a house would collapse (not uncommon) and the occupants would rebuild
                elsewhere and take their number with them. It's also important to note that
                not long ago, exacting precision regarding identity and location were
                unnecessary. Everyone knew who everyone was and where they lived and many
                things about each other. Not a lot of need for paperwork.
                Bt