Re: [S-R] finding village names

  • jump4toys@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
      Marilyn,
      thanks for the help. Your link was PERFECT...the other ones that people
      tried to refer me to didn't seem to get me there.
      I did research the towns of my ancestors, but they didn't come up on the LDS.
      I'm assuming that because it's the Ukraine now, it must be harder to access
      records? I hope that the LDS, as determined as they are, will get records
      from these small villages in the area.

      Daniel

      > Daniel,
      > Each library is different. Some have researchers like you and I that may
      > have paid to have a certain film on permanent loan, therefore, they "may"
      > have something of interest to you, but chances are they do not. You will
      > need to order each film separately according to your needs.
      >
      > You can search from your home computer to see if there are records available
      > for rent just by going to
      > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp ,click on
      > PLACE, and then type in the various cities. You are in luck, I entered the
      > first village, Munkacs, and the following records are available:
      > Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of military personnel in Munkács, Bereg,
      > Hungary; later Mukaèevo, Podkarpatská Rus, Czechoslovakia; now Mukacheve,
      > Zakarpats'ka, Ukraine. For Indexes to the names of regimental captains and
      > garrison place names see films no. 1442862-1442866.
      >
      > I think it has already been mentioned that we all have to do our own leg
      > work here. So take some time, look up your villages and make your list of
      > Films you need to order. They will take a few weeks to come in.
      >
      > Happy hunting,
      > Marilyn
      >
      > _____

    • Marilyn Hertenstein
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
        You're quite welcome. Something else you might want to consider, perhaps
        you have the spelling of the village wrong. LDS seems to search only with
        the spelling you give it, so if it is one letter wrong, you will come up
        empty. Check your spellings. One place you can use is
        http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp This wonderful site will
        look for villages using soundex, meaning it will come up with lots of
        possibilities for the village name you enter. If you know about where your
        village is on a map, you could also enter the name of a bigger city and then
        in the possibilities it gives you, click on the dot in the last column
        marked "10 mile radius", and it gives you all the villages nearby. Another
        nice feature is that it often gives you the name of the village now and what
        it used to be called. Once you find your village, go back to the LDS page
        and enter in the new spelling and see if they have any records. There are
        lots of records from Ukraine, just not everywhere has been filmed yet.

        Happy hunting,
        Marilyn

        _____

        thanks for the help. Your link was PERFECT...the other ones that people
        tried to refer me to didn't seem to get me there.
        I did research the towns of my ancestors, but they didn't come up on the
        LDS.
        I'm assuming that because it's the Ukraine now, it must be harder to access
        records? I hope that the LDS, as determined as they are, will get records
        from these small villages in the area.

        Daniel

        > Daniel,
        > Each library is different. Some have researchers like you and I that may
        > have paid to have a certain film on permanent loan, therefore, they "may"
        > have something of interest to you, but chances are they do not. You will
        > need to order each film separately according to your needs.
        >
        > You can search from your home computer to see if there are records
        available
        > for rent just by going to
        > http://www.familyse
        <http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp>
        arch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp ,click on
        > PLACE, and then type in the various cities. You are in luck, I entered the
        > first village, Munkacs, and the following records are available:
        > Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of military personnel in Munkács, Bereg,
        > Hungary; later Mukaèevo, Podkarpatská Rus, Czechoslovakia; now Mukacheve,
        > Zakarpats'ka, Ukraine. For Indexes to the names of regimental captains and
        > garrison place names see films no. 1442862-1442866.
        >
        > I think it has already been mentioned that we all have to do our own leg
        > work here. So take some time, look up your villages and make your list of
        > Films you need to order. They will take a few weeks to come in.
        >
        > Happy hunting,
        > Marilyn
        >
        > _____
        >
        > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@
        > There is a Mormon Temple here where I live with a research library. I
        assume

        > that the LDS is the Mormon Church Library. Do you know if they have this
        > information readily available without having to order anything?
        >
        > Also...question 2.....I had asked about my family towns in the Carpathian
        > Mountains...the towns are Munkacs, Szolyva, Zugo, Beregszasz, because at
        one
        > time
        > I remember Bill saying that this area was not yet microfilmed. It was
        > certainly Hungary back in 1869. NOW the area is the UKRAINE thanks to
        border

        > changes. So my question is, does anyone know if this area has the records
        on
        > file
        > available to research or am I wasting time with this search.
        >
        > DAniel
        > Wachtenheim

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
          Re: . LDS seems to search only with the spelling you give it, so if it is
          one letter wrong, you will come up
          empty.

          It's probably worthy of note that the LDS place search has an implicit
          wildcard in their search form. For example, if you search on the town "Mun",
          it returns all locations that begin with Mun. Sometimes that helps,
          sometimes it doesn't. It depends on where the error is.

          Jim

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
            >>> There is a Mormon Temple here where I live with a research
            library. I assume that the LDS is the Mormon Church Library. Do you
            know if they have this information readily available without having to
            order anything?<<<

            The availabity of records is on line. You can check that yourself.
            Your local Family Histry Center has no secret database of info.
            Neither do they have an intimate knowledge of Ukraine.

            >>> Also...question 2.....I had asked about my family towns in the
            Carpathian Mountains...the towns are Munkacs, Szolyva, Zugo,
            Beregszasz, because at one time I remember Bill saying that this area
            was not yet microfilmed . . . > certainly Hungary back in 1869. NOW
            the area is the UKRAINE . . . So my question is, does anyone know if
            this area has the records on file available to research or am I
            wasting time with this search.<<<

            Wasting time.
          • matt_procter
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
              I too was very confused when I visited my ancestral village (Stiavnik)
              last winter. A house numbered 1200 could be right beside one number
              216. There was absolutely no rhyme or reason. Drove around for an
              hour, trying to find the right house.

              One thing I heard later was that in smaller villages houses were
              numbered as they were built, regardless of exact location on a street.
              This would support the previous note regarding house numbers getting
              higher as they get farther away from the church. Also, there were no
              street names in most smaller villages. Your address was just a number,
              followed by the village name.
            • Slovak American
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                Matt,

                I'd love to hear more about your first visit to your ancestral village. What was it like? What was it like seeing it for the first time? Was it what you imagined? Did you find relatives there?

                Patrick
                http://slovakamerican.blogspot.com/

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                  For newbies, an important note. As Vladimir indicates, sometimes the house
                  number is relative to the village, not to a street at all. Sometimes in the
                  past, a house would collapse (not uncommon) and the occupants would rebuild
                  elsewhere and take their number with them. It's also important to note that
                  not long ago, exacting precision regarding identity and location were
                  unnecessary. Everyone knew who everyone was and where they lived and many
                  things about each other. Not a lot of need for paperwork.
                  Bt