Re: [S-R] finding village names

  • jump4toys@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
      Question........

      Actually 2 questions.
      There is a Mormon Temple here where I live with a research library. I assume
      that the LDS is the Mormon Church Library. Do you know if they have this
      information readily available without having to order anything?

      Also...question 2.....I had asked about my family towns in the Carpathian
      Mountains...the towns are Munkacs, Szolyva, Zugo, Beregszasz, because at one time
      I remember Bill saying that this area was not yet microfilmed. It was
      certainly Hungary back in 1869. NOW the area is the UKRAINE thanks to border
      changes. So my question is, does anyone know if this area has the records on file
      available to research or am I wasting time with this search.

      DAniel
      Wachtenheim

    • Marilyn Hertenstein
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
        Daniel,
        Each library is different. Some have researchers like you and I that may
        have paid to have a certain film on permanent loan, therefore, they "may"
        have something of interest to you, but chances are they do not. You will
        need to order each film separately according to your needs.

        You can search from your home computer to see if there are records available
        for rent just by going to
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp ,click on
        PLACE, and then type in the various cities. You are in luck, I entered the
        first village, Munkacs, and the following records are available:
        Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of military personnel in Munk�cs, Bereg,
        Hungary; later Muka�evo, Podkarpatsk� Rus, Czechoslovakia; now Mukacheve,
        Zakarpats'ka, Ukraine. For Indexes to the names of regimental captains and
        garrison place names see films no. 1442862-1442866.

        I think it has already been mentioned that we all have to do our own leg
        work here. So take some time, look up your villages and make your list of
        Films you need to order. They will take a few weeks to come in.

        Happy hunting,
        Marilyn

        _____

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
          Marilyn,
          thanks for the help. Your link was PERFECT...the other ones that people
          tried to refer me to didn't seem to get me there.
          I did research the towns of my ancestors, but they didn't come up on the LDS.
          I'm assuming that because it's the Ukraine now, it must be harder to access
          records? I hope that the LDS, as determined as they are, will get records
          from these small villages in the area.

          Daniel

          > Daniel,
          > Each library is different. Some have researchers like you and I that may
          > have paid to have a certain film on permanent loan, therefore, they "may"
          > have something of interest to you, but chances are they do not. You will
          > need to order each film separately according to your needs.
          >
          > You can search from your home computer to see if there are records available
          > for rent just by going to
          > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp ,click on
          > PLACE, and then type in the various cities. You are in luck, I entered the
          > first village, Munkacs, and the following records are available:
          > Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of military personnel in Munkács, Bereg,
          > Hungary; later Mukaèevo, Podkarpatská Rus, Czechoslovakia; now Mukacheve,
          > Zakarpats'ka, Ukraine. For Indexes to the names of regimental captains and
          > garrison place names see films no. 1442862-1442866.
          >
          > I think it has already been mentioned that we all have to do our own leg
          > work here. So take some time, look up your villages and make your list of
          > Films you need to order. They will take a few weeks to come in.
          >
          > Happy hunting,
          > Marilyn
          >
          > _____

        • Marilyn Hertenstein
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
            You're quite welcome. Something else you might want to consider, perhaps
            you have the spelling of the village wrong. LDS seems to search only with
            the spelling you give it, so if it is one letter wrong, you will come up
            empty. Check your spellings. One place you can use is
            http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp This wonderful site will
            look for villages using soundex, meaning it will come up with lots of
            possibilities for the village name you enter. If you know about where your
            village is on a map, you could also enter the name of a bigger city and then
            in the possibilities it gives you, click on the dot in the last column
            marked "10 mile radius", and it gives you all the villages nearby. Another
            nice feature is that it often gives you the name of the village now and what
            it used to be called. Once you find your village, go back to the LDS page
            and enter in the new spelling and see if they have any records. There are
            lots of records from Ukraine, just not everywhere has been filmed yet.

            Happy hunting,
            Marilyn

            _____

            thanks for the help. Your link was PERFECT...the other ones that people
            tried to refer me to didn't seem to get me there.
            I did research the towns of my ancestors, but they didn't come up on the
            LDS.
            I'm assuming that because it's the Ukraine now, it must be harder to access
            records? I hope that the LDS, as determined as they are, will get records
            from these small villages in the area.

            Daniel

            > Daniel,
            > Each library is different. Some have researchers like you and I that may
            > have paid to have a certain film on permanent loan, therefore, they "may"
            > have something of interest to you, but chances are they do not. You will
            > need to order each film separately according to your needs.
            >
            > You can search from your home computer to see if there are records
            available
            > for rent just by going to
            > http://www.familyse
            <http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp>
            arch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp ,click on
            > PLACE, and then type in the various cities. You are in luck, I entered the
            > first village, Munkacs, and the following records are available:
            > Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of military personnel in Munkács, Bereg,
            > Hungary; later Mukaèevo, Podkarpatská Rus, Czechoslovakia; now Mukacheve,
            > Zakarpats'ka, Ukraine. For Indexes to the names of regimental captains and
            > garrison place names see films no. 1442862-1442866.
            >
            > I think it has already been mentioned that we all have to do our own leg
            > work here. So take some time, look up your villages and make your list of
            > Films you need to order. They will take a few weeks to come in.
            >
            > Happy hunting,
            > Marilyn
            >
            > _____
            >
            > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@
            > There is a Mormon Temple here where I live with a research library. I
            assume

            > that the LDS is the Mormon Church Library. Do you know if they have this
            > information readily available without having to order anything?
            >
            > Also...question 2.....I had asked about my family towns in the Carpathian
            > Mountains...the towns are Munkacs, Szolyva, Zugo, Beregszasz, because at
            one
            > time
            > I remember Bill saying that this area was not yet microfilmed. It was
            > certainly Hungary back in 1869. NOW the area is the UKRAINE thanks to
            border

            > changes. So my question is, does anyone know if this area has the records
            on
            > file
            > available to research or am I wasting time with this search.
            >
            > DAniel
            > Wachtenheim

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
              Re: . LDS seems to search only with the spelling you give it, so if it is
              one letter wrong, you will come up
              empty.

              It's probably worthy of note that the LDS place search has an implicit
              wildcard in their search form. For example, if you search on the town "Mun",
              it returns all locations that begin with Mun. Sometimes that helps,
              sometimes it doesn't. It depends on where the error is.

              Jim

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
                >>> There is a Mormon Temple here where I live with a research
                library. I assume that the LDS is the Mormon Church Library. Do you
                know if they have this information readily available without having to
                order anything?<<<

                The availabity of records is on line. You can check that yourself.
                Your local Family Histry Center has no secret database of info.
                Neither do they have an intimate knowledge of Ukraine.

                >>> Also...question 2.....I had asked about my family towns in the
                Carpathian Mountains...the towns are Munkacs, Szolyva, Zugo,
                Beregszasz, because at one time I remember Bill saying that this area
                was not yet microfilmed . . . > certainly Hungary back in 1869. NOW
                the area is the UKRAINE . . . So my question is, does anyone know if
                this area has the records on file available to research or am I
                wasting time with this search.<<<

                Wasting time.
              • matt_procter
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                  I too was very confused when I visited my ancestral village (Stiavnik)
                  last winter. A house numbered 1200 could be right beside one number
                  216. There was absolutely no rhyme or reason. Drove around for an
                  hour, trying to find the right house.

                  One thing I heard later was that in smaller villages houses were
                  numbered as they were built, regardless of exact location on a street.
                  This would support the previous note regarding house numbers getting
                  higher as they get farther away from the church. Also, there were no
                  street names in most smaller villages. Your address was just a number,
                  followed by the village name.
                • Slovak American
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                    Matt,

                    I'd love to hear more about your first visit to your ancestral village. What was it like? What was it like seeing it for the first time? Was it what you imagined? Did you find relatives there?

                    Patrick
                    http://slovakamerican.blogspot.com/

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                      For newbies, an important note. As Vladimir indicates, sometimes the house
                      number is relative to the village, not to a street at all. Sometimes in the
                      past, a house would collapse (not uncommon) and the occupants would rebuild
                      elsewhere and take their number with them. It's also important to note that
                      not long ago, exacting precision regarding identity and location were
                      unnecessary. Everyone knew who everyone was and where they lived and many
                      things about each other. Not a lot of need for paperwork.
                      Bt