finding villiage names

  • junemckee
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
      Would anyone have any suggestions as of the best way of me finding out
      which village my family came from? I have found them on several films
      for Baptism,marriage and death records. The residence is always the
      same but I am not sure if it is a village name or street. It says
      Eperjes which I know that is the town now presov and then it is very
      hard to make out the next name which looks like locse iut with the two
      marks over the o. after that is the house number 56. I would have
      thought that locse iut was the street but looking at these films the
      house numbers go up into 100 or more. I cant see that many residence
      on one street so that brings me to believe it must be the village
      name. Well I cant seem to find this village name anywhere in saros
      county listings. Can anyone please give me any ideas on where to look
      next?

      Thank you,
      June
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
        There are several places to locate your village. I've written about the
        most productive sources here:
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
        Having two independent sources of this information is always best (but
        sometimes not possible.) Once you've been through this step, you have a
        high level of confidence you are looking at the correct location.

        Another place to consider is the 1869 census, which the FHL has filmed. You
        might find them in there.

        If you're fairly certain that what you're looking at is a street name,
        you'll want to find an old map of the city. I'm sure there are plenty
        floating around. I looked at a 1910 gazetteer and found a map - it doesn't
        show a lot of formal streets. There are probably lots of informal foot
        paths, etc.

        Regarding house numbers, many things change over the years - houses are
        renumbered, houses demolished, etc. cities evolve. Don't count on
        present-day maps to accurately represent the situation back then. I "never
        say never", so this is a word of caution.

        Lastly, if you can scan and post the information you refer to, I always say,
        10 eyes are better than two!

        Good luck,

        Bill

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
          The population of Eperjes in 1914 was over 16,000. Maybe 100+ for a street
          number isn't out of the question.

          _____

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
            If you google "levocska ulica presov" you can see, it is still there and almost for sure still the same street, leading from Presov direction Levoca.
            As for the numbering, it can be, that the numbers then did not start with one for each street and that there was only one set of numbers for the whole town.
            In most places you can see two numbers on houses; one set ( black one)is starting with one on that particular street and the other one is numbering system for the whole town, which is red. Like 2132 in red and 15 in black on one house.
            The 1869 census starts with number one for example and goes till the end and in the mean time the street names change ( if there are any), but not the numbering.
            Vladimir

            http://www.eset.sk

          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
              Hello Vladmir:

              I have an inquiry regarding the house numbers that appear in the 19th
              century Roman Catholic Church records. In each of the villages where my ancestors
              lived, I've been working on a cluster genealogy for each of the families in
              my direct lineage (including the extended family clans). It appears that in
              some of the 19th century church records that the house numbers may have been
              attributed to the entire parish, rather than a particular village alone. For
              example, there is a listing of VALLIS KLUKNO NO. 108 (now known as DOLINA
              "Valley") between the villages of VITAZ and KLUKNO) in the SIROKE PARISH records
              in the SARIS Highlands, and there does not appear to have been 108 houses in
              the Valley (as I have scoured the parish records for both SIROKE and
              KLUKNAVA church records for several years and have tracked several family clans.
              Similarly, on the HRONEC side of my family who lived in the village of STARY
              SMOKOVEC (also known as ALT SCHMECKS in German and TATRA FURED in Hungarian),
              which was part of the Roman Catholic Church parish of MLYNICA (MUHLENBACH in
              German), the house number attributed to my grandmother's family is house No.
              64 and the few families that lived in STARY SMOKOVEC in the 19th century were
              all connected to my grandmother's family. As a quick illustration, there is
              only one entry in the 1869 Hungarian Census for STARY SMOKOVEC (ALT SCHMECKS)
              -- the family of my great, great, great grandfather -- which is included at
              the end of the 1869 Hungarian Census for MLYNICA (MUHLENBACH) parish and
              assigned a high house number. A review of the regular church records for
              MLYNICA parish corroborate this fact, as the only entries appearing in the parish
              records until 1898 are those relating to my grandmother's family. I would
              gratefully appreciate any thoughts that you may have regarding the assignment of
              house numbers (as appearing in the parish church records), as a number of us
              have discussed this issue on the DELPHI forum, but have not found any clear
              explanation regarding the house numbering system (other than anecdotal
              evidence).

              Best regards,

              David Michael Baloga

            • Vladimir Bohinc
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
                Dear David,
                I don't think there was a one set of numbers for the whole parish. House numbering was a state affair, not of the church.
                If you have a feeling that by checking "all church records" you could not find "all numbers" one reason may be that you checked only one religion.
                I have not been studying this issue in depth. I just remember what I wrote previously.
                One thing can be taken as very probable; small number is close to the church and highest numbers are newcomers or Gypsies.
                Also, if you take the church records from 1895 backwards, there are many villages, who did not have house numbers before 1850. Maybe I am wrong, but this is my feeling. One would have to see, when the numbering was mandatory.
                Fact is also, that a house number from then is not the same as today. I use house numbers mainly as a supportive fact when identifying relationships.
                In order to find the actual location of a house 100 years ago, one would have to look into Land Records and cadastral maps.

                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
                  In general I have to say, that the numbering system in Slovakia is very confusing even today. How often it drives me mad. :-)
                  Vladimir

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
                    Question........

                    Actually 2 questions.
                    There is a Mormon Temple here where I live with a research library. I assume
                    that the LDS is the Mormon Church Library. Do you know if they have this
                    information readily available without having to order anything?

                    Also...question 2.....I had asked about my family towns in the Carpathian
                    Mountains...the towns are Munkacs, Szolyva, Zugo, Beregszasz, because at one time
                    I remember Bill saying that this area was not yet microfilmed. It was
                    certainly Hungary back in 1869. NOW the area is the UKRAINE thanks to border
                    changes. So my question is, does anyone know if this area has the records on file
                    available to research or am I wasting time with this search.

                    DAniel
                    Wachtenheim

                  • Marilyn Hertenstein
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
                      Daniel,
                      Each library is different. Some have researchers like you and I that may
                      have paid to have a certain film on permanent loan, therefore, they "may"
                      have something of interest to you, but chances are they do not. You will
                      need to order each film separately according to your needs.

                      You can search from your home computer to see if there are records available
                      for rent just by going to
                      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp ,click on
                      PLACE, and then type in the various cities. You are in luck, I entered the
                      first village, Munkacs, and the following records are available:
                      Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of military personnel in Munk�cs, Bereg,
                      Hungary; later Muka�evo, Podkarpatsk� Rus, Czechoslovakia; now Mukacheve,
                      Zakarpats'ka, Ukraine. For Indexes to the names of regimental captains and
                      garrison place names see films no. 1442862-1442866.

                      I think it has already been mentioned that we all have to do our own leg
                      work here. So take some time, look up your villages and make your list of
                      Films you need to order. They will take a few weeks to come in.

                      Happy hunting,
                      Marilyn

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 8, 2006
                        Marilyn,
                        thanks for the help. Your link was PERFECT...the other ones that people
                        tried to refer me to didn't seem to get me there.
                        I did research the towns of my ancestors, but they didn't come up on the LDS.
                        I'm assuming that because it's the Ukraine now, it must be harder to access
                        records? I hope that the LDS, as determined as they are, will get records
                        from these small villages in the area.

                        Daniel

                        > Daniel,
                        > Each library is different. Some have researchers like you and I that may
                        > have paid to have a certain film on permanent loan, therefore, they "may"
                        > have something of interest to you, but chances are they do not. You will
                        > need to order each film separately according to your needs.
                        >
                        > You can search from your home computer to see if there are records available
                        > for rent just by going to
                        > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp ,click on
                        > PLACE, and then type in the various cities. You are in luck, I entered the
                        > first village, Munkacs, and the following records are available:
                        > Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of military personnel in Munkács, Bereg,
                        > Hungary; later Mukaèevo, Podkarpatská Rus, Czechoslovakia; now Mukacheve,
                        > Zakarpats'ka, Ukraine. For Indexes to the names of regimental captains and
                        > garrison place names see films no. 1442862-1442866.
                        >
                        > I think it has already been mentioned that we all have to do our own leg
                        > work here. So take some time, look up your villages and make your list of
                        > Films you need to order. They will take a few weeks to come in.
                        >
                        > Happy hunting,
                        > Marilyn
                        >
                        > _____

                      • Marilyn Hertenstein
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
                          You're quite welcome. Something else you might want to consider, perhaps
                          you have the spelling of the village wrong. LDS seems to search only with
                          the spelling you give it, so if it is one letter wrong, you will come up
                          empty. Check your spellings. One place you can use is
                          http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp This wonderful site will
                          look for villages using soundex, meaning it will come up with lots of
                          possibilities for the village name you enter. If you know about where your
                          village is on a map, you could also enter the name of a bigger city and then
                          in the possibilities it gives you, click on the dot in the last column
                          marked "10 mile radius", and it gives you all the villages nearby. Another
                          nice feature is that it often gives you the name of the village now and what
                          it used to be called. Once you find your village, go back to the LDS page
                          and enter in the new spelling and see if they have any records. There are
                          lots of records from Ukraine, just not everywhere has been filmed yet.

                          Happy hunting,
                          Marilyn

                          _____

                          thanks for the help. Your link was PERFECT...the other ones that people
                          tried to refer me to didn't seem to get me there.
                          I did research the towns of my ancestors, but they didn't come up on the
                          LDS.
                          I'm assuming that because it's the Ukraine now, it must be harder to access
                          records? I hope that the LDS, as determined as they are, will get records
                          from these small villages in the area.

                          Daniel

                          > Daniel,
                          > Each library is different. Some have researchers like you and I that may
                          > have paid to have a certain film on permanent loan, therefore, they "may"
                          > have something of interest to you, but chances are they do not. You will
                          > need to order each film separately according to your needs.
                          >
                          > You can search from your home computer to see if there are records
                          available
                          > for rent just by going to
                          > http://www.familyse
                          <http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp>
                          arch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp ,click on
                          > PLACE, and then type in the various cities. You are in luck, I entered the
                          > first village, Munkacs, and the following records are available:
                          > Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of military personnel in Munkács, Bereg,
                          > Hungary; later Mukaèevo, Podkarpatská Rus, Czechoslovakia; now Mukacheve,
                          > Zakarpats'ka, Ukraine. For Indexes to the names of regimental captains and
                          > garrison place names see films no. 1442862-1442866.
                          >
                          > I think it has already been mentioned that we all have to do our own leg
                          > work here. So take some time, look up your villages and make your list of
                          > Films you need to order. They will take a few weeks to come in.
                          >
                          > Happy hunting,
                          > Marilyn
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                          yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@
                          > There is a Mormon Temple here where I live with a research library. I
                          assume

                          > that the LDS is the Mormon Church Library. Do you know if they have this
                          > information readily available without having to order anything?
                          >
                          > Also...question 2.....I had asked about my family towns in the Carpathian
                          > Mountains...the towns are Munkacs, Szolyva, Zugo, Beregszasz, because at
                          one
                          > time
                          > I remember Bill saying that this area was not yet microfilmed. It was
                          > certainly Hungary back in 1869. NOW the area is the UKRAINE thanks to
                          border

                          > changes. So my question is, does anyone know if this area has the records
                          on
                          > file
                          > available to research or am I wasting time with this search.
                          >
                          > DAniel
                          > Wachtenheim

                        • Jim
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
                            Re: . LDS seems to search only with the spelling you give it, so if it is
                            one letter wrong, you will come up
                            empty.

                            It's probably worthy of note that the LDS place search has an implicit
                            wildcard in their search form. For example, if you search on the town "Mun",
                            it returns all locations that begin with Mun. Sometimes that helps,
                            sometimes it doesn't. It depends on where the error is.

                            Jim

                          • johnqadam
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 9, 2006
                              >>> There is a Mormon Temple here where I live with a research
                              library. I assume that the LDS is the Mormon Church Library. Do you
                              know if they have this information readily available without having to
                              order anything?<<<

                              The availabity of records is on line. You can check that yourself.
                              Your local Family Histry Center has no secret database of info.
                              Neither do they have an intimate knowledge of Ukraine.

                              >>> Also...question 2.....I had asked about my family towns in the
                              Carpathian Mountains...the towns are Munkacs, Szolyva, Zugo,
                              Beregszasz, because at one time I remember Bill saying that this area
                              was not yet microfilmed . . . > certainly Hungary back in 1869. NOW
                              the area is the UKRAINE . . . So my question is, does anyone know if
                              this area has the records on file available to research or am I
                              wasting time with this search.<<<

                              Wasting time.
                            • matt_procter
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                                I too was very confused when I visited my ancestral village (Stiavnik)
                                last winter. A house numbered 1200 could be right beside one number
                                216. There was absolutely no rhyme or reason. Drove around for an
                                hour, trying to find the right house.

                                One thing I heard later was that in smaller villages houses were
                                numbered as they were built, regardless of exact location on a street.
                                This would support the previous note regarding house numbers getting
                                higher as they get farther away from the church. Also, there were no
                                street names in most smaller villages. Your address was just a number,
                                followed by the village name.
                              • Slovak American
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                                  Matt,

                                  I'd love to hear more about your first visit to your ancestral village. What was it like? What was it like seeing it for the first time? Was it what you imagined? Did you find relatives there?

                                  Patrick
                                  http://slovakamerican.blogspot.com/

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                                    For newbies, an important note. As Vladimir indicates, sometimes the house
                                    number is relative to the village, not to a street at all. Sometimes in the
                                    past, a house would collapse (not uncommon) and the occupants would rebuild
                                    elsewhere and take their number with them. It's also important to note that
                                    not long ago, exacting precision regarding identity and location were
                                    unnecessary. Everyone knew who everyone was and where they lived and many
                                    things about each other. Not a lot of need for paperwork.
                                    Bt