Re: [S-R] Re: Slovak Festival at Pitt Nov 5 and Party Nov 4

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
      http://www.umc.pitt.edu/media/pcc021028/news_slovakfest.html

      Professor Martin Votruba who is a member of this group
      is the professor of Slovak Studies at Pitt. He has
      coordinated this get together for years. It is held
      the first Sunday in November on the mian floor of the
      Cathedral of Learning it runs from about 1 PM to 5 PM.
      There are groups pergorming songs and dances. Food is
      available for purchase and there are quite a few
      people displaying and selling Slovak merchandise.

      A few years ago, Helene started to meet the day before
      for a small party that has become a largere party.

      Dr. "Q"

      --- slovak_american <slovak_american@...> wrote:

      > Helene,
      >
      > Thanks so much for this information and the invite.
      >

      > Sorry... but I just joined this group today. Can
      > you point me to
      > any more details on the Slovak Festival at Pitt? Do
      > you know what
      > time and where it will take place exactly? Is there
      > an itinerary on
      > line?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Patrick
      > http://slovakamerican.blogspot.com/
      >
      > By the way, what is "Slovakia and Slovak Pride,"
      > which you edit?
      >

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene
      > cincebeaux
      > <helenezx@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Slovak-Roots friends - Some of you may be
      > attending the
      > Slovak Festival at Pitt (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
      > on Sunday, Nov 5.
      > >
      > > I would like to invite you to a Party the night
      > before
      > >
      > > Sat. Nov 4 -from 5 pm to 12 pm-
      > >
      > > It will be held at a home in Moon Township near
      > the airport - e
      > mail me for more info.
      > >
      > > We will have a Slovak Trivia contest and prizes
      > and it will be
      > fun!
      > >
      > > helene cincebeaux
      > > editor of Slovakia and Slovak Pride
      > > helenezx@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
        Everyone is invited - the more the merrier - we have people coming in from California, Illinois, Florida, Connecticut, Georgia, Ohio, New Jersey etc.

        if anyone would like me to e-mail the invitation and directions just let me know

        helene

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
          Hi Patrick - Welcome!

          I see someone provided the web site for the Slovak Festival at Pitt on Nov 5 - it is a lot of fun - such a variety of exhibits, performances and presentations.

          I publish Slovakia magazine and glad to send you a free sample copy - just e mail an address to helenezx@...

          The Slovak Pride data base has almost 25,000 listings of Slovak and Rusyn surnames and the villages they came from - would certainly love to have your ancestral surnames! Check it out at www.our-Slovakia .com or www.Slovak Pride.homestead.com

          I will send you info on the Sat night Nov 4 party - would love to have you and family or friends join us!

          all best wishes

          helene

          <helenezx@...> wrote:

          > Dear Slovak-Roots friends - Some of you may be attending the
          Slovak Festival at Pitt (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) on Sunday, Nov 5.

          > I would like to invite you to a Party the night before
          >
          > Sat. Nov 4 -from 5 pm to 12 pm-
          >
          > It will be held at a home in Moon Township near the airport - e
          mail me for more info.

          > We will have a Slovak Trivia contest and prizes and it will be
          fun!

          > helene cincebeaux
          > editor of Slovakia and Slovak Pride
          > helenezx@...

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
            oops - this web site below is an old one that says the festival is nov 3 - this year it is nov 5

            Have attached the current flier

            helene

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 31, 2006
              Carl,

              I found the reply direct and no-nonsense, not insulting. Europeans
              are often more direct and honest than we are in America where an
              answer can be hidden by so much beating around the bush. In this
              case I found it quite proper. I took it that Mr. Bohinc expressed
              his opinion and was not ready to talk about it indefinitely.

              The choice is yours; either accept his proposal or follow other
              leads and prove him wrong. I see no fault in him not wishing to
              discuss it without end.

              Ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik"
              <kkotlarc@...> wrote:

              > This is an example of what I consider a rude reply. I now
              recognize > that the word is probably "zeliar". But my inquiry was
              legitimate > and did not deserve the rude and patronizing reply that
              I > received. This has got to stop. I am a proud Slovak who will
              not > be treated as a second class person. No one in this group
              should be > afraid to post a question for fear of being insulted by
              > the "professionals".
              >
              > I believe my questions are presented in a dignified and polite
              > manner. I expect the same type of reply and so should everyone
              else > in this group.
              > Carl Kotlarchik
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Carl,
              > > Please, please. This is not a subject which allows second
              opinion.
              > Waste of time. Zeliar is what I said; a man who only owed a house.
              > > Zelezar ( from zelezo=iron in slovenian or zeljezo in croat) is
              > ironworker, but all this has nothing to do with you.
              > > Vladimir

              The
              > > family came from Gomor county which is in the ore mountains.
              So,
              > > there was mining all around my ancestor's villages. My
              > grandmother
              > > also once told me that her father worked in a guarry. So, this
              > would
              > > fit. But the on-line dictionaries list "banik" as the word for
              > > miner in Slovak and "ba'nya'sz" in Hungarian. Does anyone else
              > > recognize the word "z'eljar" as possibly "iron ore miner".
              > > Carl
              > >

              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R.
              > (JArmata)"
              > > <JArmata@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > That's the same as zeliar, or zseller in Hungarian, or
              > inquilinus
              > > in
              > > > Latin - someone who owns his house and just a very small
              plot
              > of
              > > land.
              > > > In English sometimes called a cotter.
              > > >
              > > > Joe

            • Nick Holcz
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 1, 2006
                At 01:46 PM 1/11/2006, you wrote:

                >Carl,
                >
                >I found the reply direct and no-nonsense,

                So what was rude about that. Never mind Europeans being more direct I
                am Australian and I am very direct,I don't reply to anything anonymous.

                Vladimir is one of the good guys, he doesn't need defence from me but
                he gets it anyway.

                Nick
              • Dr. Joe Q.
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 1, 2006
                  RUDE

                  a word that is frequently thrown out but little understood.

                  TRITE, SHORT, MISUNDERSTOOD

                  Perhaps, but rude is rarely used in proper context. Generally it is used
                  in an accusatory format as a defensive response to something that was
                  not expected.

                  Never the less one of the best internet precepts is:

                  Do not annoy and do not be easily annoyed.

                  Valdimir Bohinc has provided years of advice and information to list
                  members (would you believe that this is not the only list he belongs
                  to???). He is a professional genealogist, he has the capability to solve
                  a mystery that Perry Mason, Columbo, and the Defenders could not handle.
                  He is a sincere and dedicated worker, you can trust him to do his best
                  and he will probably charge you less than his stated fees.

                  He not only likes to know the identity of his clients, it is necessary
                  to know this conduct his research.

                  He is no more rude or unfamiliar with the habits of “Americans”. The
                  Eastern European way of thinking is not materially different than those
                  of us in the USA.

                  This has become much ado about nothing.

                  Dr. “Q