RE: [S-R] dankos

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2006
      Dear MJH,

      As a follow-up, I checked with RadixIndex (www.bogardi.com
      <http://www.bogardi.com/> ), which shows the Danko name appearing in nearly
      every county in historic Hungary. However, the largest number were in Nyitra
      county, which is the location of Brezova pod Bradlom. Its Hungarian name was
      Barezo. If this is the right village, you are fortunate. There are many
      villages in that area for which LDS has not yet released the microfilms.

      Good luck to you, Janet

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2006
        It looks like I responded too quickly. You are right in the first place-it
        is Brekov, Hungarian name Barko, in Zemplen. Three Dankos came through
        Ellis Island from Barko-Mihaly in 1904, a different Mihaly in 1905, and
        Andras in 1907, all going to Middleport PA.

        However, LDS does not appear to have church records for this village. You
        can find it on the old map of Zemplen at
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg in the green section just
        southwest of Hommona. Since I believe the filming of church records for this
        area is pretty complete, you may need to find records for a nearby village.
        Someone else may be able to identify the correct one for you. Strazske
        perhaps?

        Sorry if I misled you.

        Janet

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2006
          MJ do you know Janet DeBarry Steinberg? In the Slovak Pride data base she lists Hodor ancestors from Jablon - if you want to get in touch get back to me directly
          helene
          helenezx@...,m

          dlielc <MJHodor@...> wrote:
          Hi:

          My grandmother was a Suzan Danko from Brekov. Her mother's,my
          greatgrandmother's maiden name, was Baran I believe. My grandmother
          would have been born around 1878-1880, and died in 1947 or 48. Baba
          had a hard life in both countries. She was married to Tom Hodor, my
          grandfather from Jablon.

          MJHodor