RE: [S-R] dankos

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2006
      Dear MJH,

      You may be having some difficulty with the village names.

      Jablon is quite probably Jablonka. There was more than one village with this
      name. In 1900 Pal Hodor immigrated to Philadelphia, followed in 1901 by his
      wife Maria and brother Toman. Since Pal's ship manifest says "F. Yablonya,"
      it is quite likely Felso Jablonka in Zemplen megye. Knowing their language
      and their religion would be important in deciding if this was the correct
      one. LDS microfilms of the church records for Felso Jablonka were Greek
      Catholic. If they were Roman Catholic, it was probably a Jablonka in old
      Arva megye, now in Poland.

      Danko is a very common name. Your Brekov may be Brezova, and there were
      quite a few by that name who immigrated from there. However, this village
      could be in either present-day Slovakia (Brezova pod Bradlon) or Czech
      Republic, where there are a number of villages by this name. LDS has both
      Roman Catholic and Evangelical church records for the former.

      I think you will need a little more information to zero in on your family.

      Janet

      _____

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2006
        Dear MJH,

        As a follow-up, I checked with RadixIndex (www.bogardi.com
        <http://www.bogardi.com/> ), which shows the Danko name appearing in nearly
        every county in historic Hungary. However, the largest number were in Nyitra
        county, which is the location of Brezova pod Bradlom. Its Hungarian name was
        Barezo. If this is the right village, you are fortunate. There are many
        villages in that area for which LDS has not yet released the microfilms.

        Good luck to you, Janet

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2006
          It looks like I responded too quickly. You are right in the first place-it
          is Brekov, Hungarian name Barko, in Zemplen. Three Dankos came through
          Ellis Island from Barko-Mihaly in 1904, a different Mihaly in 1905, and
          Andras in 1907, all going to Middleport PA.

          However, LDS does not appear to have church records for this village. You
          can find it on the old map of Zemplen at
          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg in the green section just
          southwest of Hommona. Since I believe the filming of church records for this
          area is pretty complete, you may need to find records for a nearby village.
          Someone else may be able to identify the correct one for you. Strazske
          perhaps?

          Sorry if I misled you.

          Janet

        • helene cincebeaux