dankos

  • dlielc
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29 4:35 PM
      Hi:

      My grandmother was a Suzan Danko from Brekov. Her mother's,my
      greatgrandmother's maiden name, was Baran I believe. My grandmother
      would have been born around 1878-1880, and died in 1947 or 48. Baba
      had a hard life in both countries. She was married to Tom Hodor, my
      grandfather from Jablon.

      MJHodor
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29 6:39 PM
        Dear MJH,

        You may be having some difficulty with the village names.

        Jablon is quite probably Jablonka. There was more than one village with this
        name. In 1900 Pal Hodor immigrated to Philadelphia, followed in 1901 by his
        wife Maria and brother Toman. Since Pal's ship manifest says "F. Yablonya,"
        it is quite likely Felso Jablonka in Zemplen megye. Knowing their language
        and their religion would be important in deciding if this was the correct
        one. LDS microfilms of the church records for Felso Jablonka were Greek
        Catholic. If they were Roman Catholic, it was probably a Jablonka in old
        Arva megye, now in Poland.

        Danko is a very common name. Your Brekov may be Brezova, and there were
        quite a few by that name who immigrated from there. However, this village
        could be in either present-day Slovakia (Brezova pod Bradlon) or Czech
        Republic, where there are a number of villages by this name. LDS has both
        Roman Catholic and Evangelical church records for the former.

        I think you will need a little more information to zero in on your family.

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29 7:40 PM
          Dear MJH,

          As a follow-up, I checked with RadixIndex (www.bogardi.com
          <http://www.bogardi.com/> ), which shows the Danko name appearing in nearly
          every county in historic Hungary. However, the largest number were in Nyitra
          county, which is the location of Brezova pod Bradlom. Its Hungarian name was
          Barezo. If this is the right village, you are fortunate. There are many
          villages in that area for which LDS has not yet released the microfilms.

          Good luck to you, Janet

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29 8:06 PM
            It looks like I responded too quickly. You are right in the first place-it
            is Brekov, Hungarian name Barko, in Zemplen. Three Dankos came through
            Ellis Island from Barko-Mihaly in 1904, a different Mihaly in 1905, and
            Andras in 1907, all going to Middleport PA.

            However, LDS does not appear to have church records for this village. You
            can find it on the old map of Zemplen at
            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg in the green section just
            southwest of Hommona. Since I believe the filming of church records for this
            area is pretty complete, you may need to find records for a nearby village.
            Someone else may be able to identify the correct one for you. Strazske
            perhaps?

            Sorry if I misled you.

            Janet

          • helene cincebeaux