Re: [S-R] Re: Researching "KLODZEN"

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2006
      Hi Gene,

      You are very welcome. I love etymology, and often try to find the meaning
      of the surnames in my family as well as the meaning of the place names, so
      that the places become more familiar. I like three Slavic dictionary sites in
      particular, one in Slovak, one in Polish, and one in Czech, that are helpful
      in finding the meaning of the names.

      SLOVAK

      _http://slovnik.zoznam.sk/?word=&lang=21_
      (http://slovnik.zoznam.sk/?word=&lang=21)

      CZECH

      _http://www.slovnik.cz/_ (http://www.slovnik.cz/)

      POLISH

      _http://www.dict.pl/plen_ (http://www.dict.pl/plen)

      Because of variant spellings and larger dictionary databases, I will often
      go to the CZECH and POLISH dictionaries. The CZECH dictionary is great
      because it allows you to scan the entire dictionary in alphabetical order. And the
      POLISH dictionary lets you search certain letter combinations (including
      letter combinations in the middle and end of words). I have found all three of
      these online dictionaries to be extremely helpful and quite fun actually too!
      I wish you well in your continuing search. I have a similar situation with
      the KREDATUS surname in my lineage. The KREDATUS surname is concentrated
      around KEZMAROK in SPIS, but I have not yet been able to tell the name meaning
      or its origin, and am keeping my eye out for variant spellings. Genealogy is
      often a puzzle. Keep your spirits up. Usually there is a breakthrough
      sooner or later.

      Best regards,

      David