Re: [S-R] Re: Researching "KLODZEN"

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2006
      Thank you David, that's quite interesting, and may prove to be important as,
      really, who knows what the original spelling of KLODZEN might have been, or
      why? That's why I'm researching KLADZAN and KLAZDAN, "almost like" surnames that
      are also of record.

      Regards,
      Gene K

      In a message dated 9/23/06 4:40:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      david1law@... writes:

      << Hi Gene,

      I'm not sure if this is related or not to KLODZEN, but the word "KLACZ"
      means "mare" (female horse over 4 years of age) in Polish (the equivalent
      is
      "KOBILYA" in Slovak) and "KLACZKA" means "filly" (female horse under 4
      years of
      age) in Polish.

      Best regards,

      David

    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2006
        Hi Gene,

        You are very welcome. I love etymology, and often try to find the meaning
        of the surnames in my family as well as the meaning of the place names, so
        that the places become more familiar. I like three Slavic dictionary sites in
        particular, one in Slovak, one in Polish, and one in Czech, that are helpful
        in finding the meaning of the names.

        SLOVAK

        _http://slovnik.zoznam.sk/?word=&lang=21_
        (http://slovnik.zoznam.sk/?word=&lang=21)

        CZECH

        _http://www.slovnik.cz/_ (http://www.slovnik.cz/)

        POLISH

        _http://www.dict.pl/plen_ (http://www.dict.pl/plen)

        Because of variant spellings and larger dictionary databases, I will often
        go to the CZECH and POLISH dictionaries. The CZECH dictionary is great
        because it allows you to scan the entire dictionary in alphabetical order. And the
        POLISH dictionary lets you search certain letter combinations (including
        letter combinations in the middle and end of words). I have found all three of
        these online dictionaries to be extremely helpful and quite fun actually too!
        I wish you well in your continuing search. I have a similar situation with
        the KREDATUS surname in my lineage. The KREDATUS surname is concentrated
        around KEZMAROK in SPIS, but I have not yet been able to tell the name meaning
        or its origin, and am keeping my eye out for variant spellings. Genealogy is
        often a puzzle. Keep your spirits up. Usually there is a breakthrough
        sooner or later.

        Best regards,

        David