RE: [S-R] Some help needed on reading my great-grandfather's death certificate

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
      Based on the information in the death record, your grandfather is probably
      the Janos Rokita who immigrated in 1907, age 24. He was from Keczer-Palvagas
      in Saros megye. You can find this village on the map of Saros megye at
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg. It is in the yellow section
      east of Eperjes. Just north is the village of Kapi, which is also called
      Kapi-Palvagas. It looks like these are now called Pavlovce, which you can
      find on MapQuest. The Hungarian city of Eperjes is now Presov, Slovakia.

      Microfilms of the Roman Catholic church records for this village are
      available through your local Family History Center (www.familysearch.org
      <http://www.familysearch.org/> ).

      On Janos Rokita's immigration record his village is mistranscribed as
      Keireafalvagas.

      There is another intriguing entry in 1912 for Maria Rokita and her
      3-year-old son Janos from the same village. In this case it is
      mistranscribed as Heczerfalvagas. Maria states that her father's name is
      Janos Rokita and she is going to meet her "bridegroom Janos Soltisz." Is
      this perhaps your grandfather's sister?

      Janet

    • David Colello
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2006
        Janet-

        Thanks VERY much for the information you provided. I had just recently
        gotten my great-grandfather's death certificate and hadn't gone back to the
        immigration records to pin down which Janos Rokita he was. You've
        definitely found the right one, given the other info on the death cert and
        the manifest. In any case, there's no way I would have gotten from the
        ship's manifest to the detailed information you provided.

        Maria Rokita is most likely my great grandfather's sister, although I'm not
        sure that my grandmother knows about her...I'll have to ask.

        Thanks again.
        David

        http://lazarus. <http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg.>

        <http://www.familyse <http://www.familysearch.org/> arch.org/> ).