Some help needed on reading my great-grandfather's death certificate

  • dcolello
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
      Hello-
      I'm hoping for a little help on reading my great-grandfather's
      death cerfiticate. His hometown (and his parents') is listed 3 times
      on 3 different lines, but I still can't connect it to an acutal place
      in Slovakia. If someone could be of help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
      I've uploaded a scan of the document to the "Rokita" folder at the
      group's File repository and the following link should work as well:
      The hometown is specified on lines 9, 13 and 15.

      Thanks in advance.
      David Colello
      David.Colello@...
    • ajdolli
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
        It's not a hometown, David -- those lines read Czecho Slovakia.

        Anabeth

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "dcolello" <David.Colello@...> wrote:

        > Hello-
        > I'm hoping for a little help on reading my great-grandfather's
        > death cerfiticate. His hometown (and his parents') is listed 3 times
        > on 3 different lines, but I still can't connect it to an acutal place
        > in Slovakia. If someone could be of help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
        > I've uploaded a scan of the document to the "Rokita" folder at the
        > group's File repository and the following link should work as well:
        > The hometown is specified on lines 9, 13 and 15.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > David Colello
        > David.Colello@...

      • David Colello
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
          Geez...thanks...that didn't even cross my mind.

          Thanks.
          David

          It's not a hometown, David -- those lines read Czecho Slovakia.

          Anabeth

          yahoogroups.com, "dcolello" <David.Colello@...> wrote:

          > Hello-
          > I'm hoping for a little help on reading my great-grandfather's
          > death cerfiticate. His hometown (and his parents') is listed 3 times
          > on 3 different lines, but I still can't connect it to an acutal place
          > in Slovakia. If someone could be of help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
          > I've uploaded a scan of the document to the "Rokita" folder at the
          > group's File repository and the following link should work as well:
          > http://groups.
          yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/files/Rokita/hometown.jpg
          > The hometown is specified on lines 9, 13 and 15.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          > David Colello
          > David.Colello@...

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
            Based on the information in the death record, your grandfather is probably
            the Janos Rokita who immigrated in 1907, age 24. He was from Keczer-Palvagas
            in Saros megye. You can find this village on the map of Saros megye at
            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg. It is in the yellow section
            east of Eperjes. Just north is the village of Kapi, which is also called
            Kapi-Palvagas. It looks like these are now called Pavlovce, which you can
            find on MapQuest. The Hungarian city of Eperjes is now Presov, Slovakia.

            Microfilms of the Roman Catholic church records for this village are
            available through your local Family History Center (www.familysearch.org
            <http://www.familysearch.org/> ).

            On Janos Rokita's immigration record his village is mistranscribed as
            Keireafalvagas.

            There is another intriguing entry in 1912 for Maria Rokita and her
            3-year-old son Janos from the same village. In this case it is
            mistranscribed as Heczerfalvagas. Maria states that her father's name is
            Janos Rokita and she is going to meet her "bridegroom Janos Soltisz." Is
            this perhaps your grandfather's sister?

            Janet

          • David Colello
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 24, 2006
              Janet-

              Thanks VERY much for the information you provided. I had just recently
              gotten my great-grandfather's death certificate and hadn't gone back to the
              immigration records to pin down which Janos Rokita he was. You've
              definitely found the right one, given the other info on the death cert and
              the manifest. In any case, there's no way I would have gotten from the
              ship's manifest to the detailed information you provided.

              Maria Rokita is most likely my great grandfather's sister, although I'm not
              sure that my grandmother knows about her...I'll have to ask.

              Thanks again.
              David

              http://lazarus. <http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg.>

              <http://www.familyse <http://www.familysearch.org/> arch.org/> ).