The Legend of Pobedim

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2006
      Pobedim is a village near Piestany, situated in the middle of large flat fields.
      In the past, Pobedim people were very proud of their fields and they seldom married someone outside the village.Just to preserve the Estates.
      This inevitably led to marriages with cousins and this again had consequences; people began to show degeneration. One of the signs was short statue. This became so critical, that the govt decided to refresh the blood. Men were not fit for the army any more. So they sent a certain number of soldiers from Nove Mesto barracks to Pobedim. Each had an address where to go and "do his duty".
      So far the Legend.
      I was curious and had a secod look at the church records and in one particular period I found surprisingly many marriages with soldiers.
      Situations like this, but without soldiers, were common in very many places in Slovakia and also other countries. Consequences can still be seen today.
      Vladimir