Re: [S-R] Re: Researching "KLODZEN"

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
      A further question, if I may. While there are more then several "sounds like"
      spellings of the name KLADZAN, is KLADZAN itself a Slovak name?

      Thanks,
      Gene K

      In a message dated 9/20/06 9:10:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time, gklodzen@...
      writes:

      << Thank you very much for that information which I will certainly check out.
      The confusion of course is due to the fact that at one time (1900 FEDERAL
      CENSUS) our family name seems to have been KLADZAN, later becoming KLODZEN.
      Also, my grandparents both emigrated from Slovak Hungary before 1900. Joseph,
      my grandfather, around 1886-89. Anna, my grandmother, in 1900, with her two
      children, Mary and Steve.

      Again, many thanks, perhaps we're on to something,
      Gene

      In a message dated 9/19/06 8:33:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      johnqadam@... writes:

      << >>> Does anyone recognize the surname KLODZEN, KLADZAN, or KOLADZIN? <<

      Ellis Island shows Kladzan from Nagy Michaly = Michalovce.

      Kladzan,Anna N. Mihaly 1903 17 1886
      Kladzan,Gergely N. Mihaly 1904 40 1864
      Kladzan,Gergely Nagymihaly, Hungary 1908 46 1862
      Kladzan,Gergelyni Nagymihaly, Hungary 1908 29 1879
      Kladzan,Gyorgy N. Mihaly 1904 6 1898
      Kladzan,Mihaly Budapest, Hungary 1912 25 1887
      Kladzan,Paulina Nagymihaly, Hungary 1908 1 1907
      Kladzan,Zsuzsana Nagymihaly, Hungary 1908 20 1888

    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2006
        Hi Gene,

        I'm not sure if this is related or not to KLODZEN, but the word "KLACZ"
        means "mare" (female horse over 4 years of age) in Polish (the equivalent is
        "KOBILYA" in Slovak) and "KLACZKA" means "filly" (female horse under 4 years of
        age) in Polish.

        Best regards,

        David

      • gklodzen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 24, 2006
          Thank you David, that's quite interesting, and may prove to be important as,
          really, who knows what the original spelling of KLODZEN might have been, or
          why? That's why I'm researching KLADZAN and KLAZDAN, "almost like" surnames that
          are also of record.

          Regards,
          Gene K

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 24, 2006
            Hi Gene,

            You are very welcome. I love etymology, and often try to find the meaning
            of the surnames in my family as well as the meaning of the place names, so
            that the places become more familiar. I like three Slavic dictionary sites in
            particular, one in Slovak, one in Polish, and one in Czech, that are helpful
            in finding the meaning of the names.

            SLOVAK

            _http://slovnik.zoznam.sk/?word=&lang=21_
            (http://slovnik.zoznam.sk/?word=&lang=21)

            CZECH

            _http://www.slovnik.cz/_ (http://www.slovnik.cz/)

            POLISH

            _http://www.dict.pl/plen_ (http://www.dict.pl/plen)

            Because of variant spellings and larger dictionary databases, I will often
            go to the CZECH and POLISH dictionaries. The CZECH dictionary is great
            because it allows you to scan the entire dictionary in alphabetical order. And the
            POLISH dictionary lets you search certain letter combinations (including
            letter combinations in the middle and end of words). I have found all three of
            these online dictionaries to be extremely helpful and quite fun actually too!
            I wish you well in your continuing search. I have a similar situation with
            the KREDATUS surname in my lineage. The KREDATUS surname is concentrated
            around KEZMAROK in SPIS, but I have not yet been able to tell the name meaning
            or its origin, and am keeping my eye out for variant spellings. Genealogy is
            often a puzzle. Keep your spirits up. Usually there is a breakthrough
            sooner or later.

            Best regards,

            David