Re: [S-R] Slovaks & height??

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 21, 2006
      Hi all,

      Thanks to good Slovak genes, I'm 6' 2" ....Slovaks are highlanders after
      all. = )

      Best regards,

      David

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 21, 2006
        Hi Mary - when i first went to Slovakia in 1969 I felt pretty tall at 5'5" now young people are so incredibly tall - even many girls well over 6 ' . A friend told me it was the horomones added to the chicken feed - smile. it sure is interesting!

        helene

        Mary Hudec <hawaiihudec@...> wrote:

        I'm currently living in Germany and the few Slovaks
        I've met here have commented that although my last
        name is Slovak (Hudec) that I can't possibly be Slovak
        because I'm too short. (5'2") My grandfather Hudec
        from Bratislava was 6'6" and my grandmother (Bartosik)
        was from along the current Hungarian border and was
        4'10".

        I'm just curious because all the Slovaks I grew up
        with in Racine Wisconsin -Hudecs, Dankos, Dvorsiks
        etc., were short for the most part. All except one
        great uncle who was well over 6foot. Does anyone have
        imput on this?

        Thanks
        Mary

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 21, 2006
          Nutrition in one's formative years is a very large part of the puzzle.
          How'd you like to eat potatoes and cabbage all the time?

          I watched my family go from 5-0 (raised in Hungary poverty), to 5-4 (raised
          during the depression) to 5-8 (raised during the baby boom.

          During that same period the average lifespan went from 50/55 to 75/80.

          I would venture to say that those families in the city and with money had
          superior access to a better diet and less exposure to dangerous
          materials/jobs.

          Bill

          Thanks to good Slovak genes, I'm 6' 2" ....Slovaks are highlanders after
          all. = )

          Best regards,

          David

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 21, 2006
            For the record, my grandparents from the village of Plavnica, both born in 1890, were no more than 4 ft. 10 in.

            Their three children were a little taller. My mother, the youngest born in 1922, was 5 ft. 2 in.

            Her children were a bit taller. I was 5 ft. 5 in. However age & back surgery has reduced me to 5 ft. 3 in. My three younger half-sisters were all a couple of inches shorter even though my father and their father were both 5 ft. 10 in. My daughter is 5 ft. 5 in.

            Interestingly, my short grandparents lived into their 80s, longer than my mother who died at age 75.

            There are so many variables...

            Susan Friedhaber-Hard

            Mary Hudec <hawaiihudec@...> wrote:

            I'm currently living in Germany and the few Slovaks
            I've met here have commented that although my last
            name is Slovak (Hudec) that I can't possibly be Slovak
            because I'm too short. (5'2") My grandfather Hudec
            from Bratislava was 6'6" and my grandmother (Bartosik)
            was from along the current Hungarian border and was
            4'10".

            I'm just curious because all the Slovaks I grew up
            with in Racine Wisconsin -Hudecs, Dankos, Dvorsiks
            etc., were short for the most part. All except one
            great uncle who was well over 6foot. Does anyone have
            imput on this?

            Thanks
            Mary

          • William F Brna
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 22, 2006
              I had a distant cousin who was seven feet tall. Not only was he tall,
              but he lived to 105 years. Who knows how long he might have lived if a
              horse he was riding didn't throw him. He died when his head hit the
              frozen ground.

              William F. Brna

              On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:26:32 -0700 (PDT) Mary Hudec
              <hawaiihudec@...> writes:

              > I'm currently living in Germany and the few Slovaks
              > I've met here have commented that although my last
              > name is Slovak (Hudec) that I can't possibly be Slovak
              > because I'm too short. (5'2") My grandfather Hudec
              > from Bratislava was 6'6" and my grandmother (Bartosik)
              > was from along the current Hungarian border and was
              > 4'10".
              >
              > I'm just curious because all the Slovaks I grew up
              > with in Racine Wisconsin -Hudecs, Dankos, Dvorsiks
              > etc., were short for the most part. All except one
              > great uncle who was well over 6foot. Does anyone have
              > imput on this?
              >
              > Thanks
              > Mary

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • DIANE PERKINS
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 22, 2006
                Hi Mary,
                I couldn't pass up this reply as we are both from Racine, WI and have Slovak ancestors. My grandmother was 4' 11" and was born in 1895. I don't know about her parents but my mother is now 4'11" and has shrunk about 2" I am 5'3.5". Mother's brother was 5'9" We know nothing about him except he was Povina which not far from Bratislava. I wonder if the difference in height could be more or less geographic. It seems the Slovaks in my family that originated in the east near Kosice were short and the ones from the west near Bratislava were taller. Once migration had been completed to the USA however than improved diet and lifestyle probably had an impact on height. I know the cousins from my mother's side were not exceptionally tall and one in fact is "you've guessed it" 4'11" !!!
                Diane

                Susan Friedhaber-Hard <barclaypenn@...> wrote:
[...]

              • Richard & Dian Strauss
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 22, 2006
                  Hey there ... I am from Racine too and normally don't come on to email but my grandmother was a tiny lady as well from lublanya ... we are now in arkansas but nice to see my hometown on here. my grandparents came to the u.s. early 1900s and lived in calumet michigan.

                  DIANE PERKINS <nv_cracker@...> wrote: Hi Mary,

                  Mary Hudec wrote:

                  I'm currently living in Germany and the few Slovaks
                  I've met here have commented that although my last
                  name is Slovak (Hudec) that I can't possibly be Slovak
                  because I'm too short. (5'2") My grandfather Hudec
                  from Bratislava was 6'6" and my grandmother (Bartosik)
                  was from along the current Hungarian border and was
                  4'10".

                  I'm just curious because all the Slovaks I grew up
                  with in Racine Wisconsin -Hudecs, Dankos, Dvorsiks
                  etc., were short for the most part. All except one
                  great uncle who was well over 6foot. Does anyone have
                  imput on this?

                  Thanks
                  Mary

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Richard & Dian Strauss

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 22, 2006
                    Dear Slovak-Roots friends - Some of you may be attending the Slovak Festival at Pitt (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) on Sunday, Nov 5.

                    I would like to invite you to a Party the night before

                    Sat. Nov 4 -from 5 pm to 12 pm-

                    It will be held at a home in Moon Township near the airport - e mail me for more info.

                    We will have a Slovak Trivia contest and prizes and it will be fun!

                    helene cincebeaux
                    editor of Slovakia and Slovak Pride
                    helenezx@...

                  • slovak_american
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
                      Helene,

                      Thanks so much for this information and the invite.

                      Sorry... but I just joined this group today. Can you point me to
                      any more details on the Slovak Festival at Pitt? Do you know what
                      time and where it will take place exactly? Is there an itinerary on
                      line?

                      Thanks!

                      Patrick
                      http://slovakamerican.blogspot.com/

                      By the way, what is "Slovakia and Slovak Pride," which you edit?

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux
                      <helenezx@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Slovak-Roots friends - Some of you may be attending the
                      Slovak Festival at Pitt (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) on Sunday, Nov 5.

                      > I would like to invite you to a Party the night before
                      >
                      > Sat. Nov 4 -from 5 pm to 12 pm-
                      >
                      > It will be held at a home in Moon Township near the airport - e
                      mail me for more info.

                      > We will have a Slovak Trivia contest and prizes and it will be
                      fun!

                      > helene cincebeaux
                      > editor of Slovakia and Slovak Pride
                      > helenezx@...

                    • Dr. Joe Q
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
                        http://www.umc.pitt.edu/media/pcc021028/news_slovakfest.html

                        Professor Martin Votruba who is a member of this group
                        is the professor of Slovak Studies at Pitt. He has
                        coordinated this get together for years. It is held
                        the first Sunday in November on the mian floor of the
                        Cathedral of Learning it runs from about 1 PM to 5 PM.
                        There are groups pergorming songs and dances. Food is
                        available for purchase and there are quite a few
                        people displaying and selling Slovak merchandise.

                        A few years ago, Helene started to meet the day before
                        for a small party that has become a largere party.

                        Dr. "Q"

                        --- slovak_american <slovak_american@...> wrote:

                        > Helene,
                        >
                        > Thanks so much for this information and the invite.
                        >

                        > Sorry... but I just joined this group today. Can
                        > you point me to
                        > any more details on the Slovak Festival at Pitt? Do
                        > you know what
                        > time and where it will take place exactly? Is there
                        > an itinerary on
                        > line?
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > Patrick
                        > http://slovakamerican.blogspot.com/
                        >
                        > By the way, what is "Slovakia and Slovak Pride,"
                        > which you edit?
                        >

                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene
                        > cincebeaux
                        > <helenezx@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Dear Slovak-Roots friends - Some of you may be
                        > attending the
                        > Slovak Festival at Pitt (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
                        > on Sunday, Nov 5.
                        > >
                        > > I would like to invite you to a Party the night
                        > before
                        > >
                        > > Sat. Nov 4 -from 5 pm to 12 pm-
                        > >
                        > > It will be held at a home in Moon Township near
                        > the airport - e
                        > mail me for more info.
                        > >
                        > > We will have a Slovak Trivia contest and prizes
                        > and it will be
                        > fun!
                        > >
                        > > helene cincebeaux
                        > > editor of Slovakia and Slovak Pride
                        > > helenezx@...

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
                          Everyone is invited - the more the merrier - we have people coming in from California, Illinois, Florida, Connecticut, Georgia, Ohio, New Jersey etc.

                          if anyone would like me to e-mail the invitation and directions just let me know

                          helene

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
                            Hi Patrick - Welcome!

                            I see someone provided the web site for the Slovak Festival at Pitt on Nov 5 - it is a lot of fun - such a variety of exhibits, performances and presentations.

                            I publish Slovakia magazine and glad to send you a free sample copy - just e mail an address to helenezx@...

                            The Slovak Pride data base has almost 25,000 listings of Slovak and Rusyn surnames and the villages they came from - would certainly love to have your ancestral surnames! Check it out at www.our-Slovakia .com or www.Slovak Pride.homestead.com

                            I will send you info on the Sat night Nov 4 party - would love to have you and family or friends join us!

                            all best wishes

                            helene

                            <helenezx@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Slovak-Roots friends - Some of you may be attending the
                            Slovak Festival at Pitt (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) on Sunday, Nov 5.

                            > I would like to invite you to a Party the night before
                            >
                            > Sat. Nov 4 -from 5 pm to 12 pm-
                            >
                            > It will be held at a home in Moon Township near the airport - e
                            mail me for more info.

                            > We will have a Slovak Trivia contest and prizes and it will be
                            fun!

                            > helene cincebeaux
                            > editor of Slovakia and Slovak Pride
                            > helenezx@...

                          • helene cincebeaux
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 2, 2006
                              oops - this web site below is an old one that says the festival is nov 3 - this year it is nov 5

                              Have attached the current flier

                              helene

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • amiak27
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 31, 2006
                                Carl,

                                I found the reply direct and no-nonsense, not insulting. Europeans
                                are often more direct and honest than we are in America where an
                                answer can be hidden by so much beating around the bush. In this
                                case I found it quite proper. I took it that Mr. Bohinc expressed
                                his opinion and was not ready to talk about it indefinitely.

                                The choice is yours; either accept his proposal or follow other
                                leads and prove him wrong. I see no fault in him not wishing to
                                discuss it without end.

                                Ron

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik"
                                <kkotlarc@...> wrote:

                                > This is an example of what I consider a rude reply. I now
                                recognize > that the word is probably "zeliar". But my inquiry was
                                legitimate > and did not deserve the rude and patronizing reply that
                                I > received. This has got to stop. I am a proud Slovak who will
                                not > be treated as a second class person. No one in this group
                                should be > afraid to post a question for fear of being insulted by
                                > the "professionals".
                                >
                                > I believe my questions are presented in a dignified and polite
                                > manner. I expect the same type of reply and so should everyone
                                else > in this group.
                                > Carl Kotlarchik
                                >
                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" <konekta@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Dear Carl,
                                > > Please, please. This is not a subject which allows second
                                opinion.
                                > Waste of time. Zeliar is what I said; a man who only owed a house.
                                > > Zelezar ( from zelezo=iron in slovenian or zeljezo in croat) is
                                > ironworker, but all this has nothing to do with you.
                                > > Vladimir

                                The
                                > > family came from Gomor county which is in the ore mountains.
                                So,
                                > > there was mining all around my ancestor's villages. My
                                > grandmother
                                > > also once told me that her father worked in a guarry. So, this
                                > would
                                > > fit. But the on-line dictionaries list "banik" as the word for
                                > > miner in Slovak and "ba'nya'sz" in Hungarian. Does anyone else
                                > > recognize the word "z'eljar" as possibly "iron ore miner".
                                > > Carl
                                > >

                                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R.
                                > (JArmata)"
                                > > <JArmata@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > That's the same as zeliar, or zseller in Hungarian, or
                                > inquilinus
                                > > in
                                > > > Latin - someone who owns his house and just a very small
                                plot
                                > of
                                > > land.
                                > > > In English sometimes called a cotter.
                                > > >
                                > > > Joe

                              • Nick Holcz
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 1, 2006
                                  At 01:46 PM 1/11/2006, you wrote:

                                  >Carl,
                                  >
                                  >I found the reply direct and no-nonsense,

                                  So what was rude about that. Never mind Europeans being more direct I
                                  am Australian and I am very direct,I don't reply to anything anonymous.

                                  Vladimir is one of the good guys, he doesn't need defence from me but
                                  he gets it anyway.

                                  Nick
                                • Dr. Joe Q.
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 1, 2006
                                    RUDE

                                    a word that is frequently thrown out but little understood.

                                    TRITE, SHORT, MISUNDERSTOOD

                                    Perhaps, but rude is rarely used in proper context. Generally it is used
                                    in an accusatory format as a defensive response to something that was
                                    not expected.

                                    Never the less one of the best internet precepts is:

                                    Do not annoy and do not be easily annoyed.

                                    Valdimir Bohinc has provided years of advice and information to list
                                    members (would you believe that this is not the only list he belongs
                                    to???). He is a professional genealogist, he has the capability to solve
                                    a mystery that Perry Mason, Columbo, and the Defenders could not handle.
                                    He is a sincere and dedicated worker, you can trust him to do his best
                                    and he will probably charge you less than his stated fees.

                                    He not only likes to know the identity of his clients, it is necessary
                                    to know this conduct his research.

                                    He is no more rude or unfamiliar with the habits of “Americans”. The
                                    Eastern European way of thinking is not materially different than those
                                    of us in the USA.

                                    This has become much ado about nothing.

                                    Dr. “Q