Re: town of SZABO

  • wanderingdalton
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 21, 2006
      I emailed Frank K directly, but perhaps others will read this late
      followup and be able to shed more light??
      It was written"Maria Zastko, age 24 , married , Slovak, born in
      Slovenská Ves, emigrated to her husband Andrew in Waterbury CT.
      She traveled with her son Alois (Aloysius), age 9 months, who was
      also born in Slovenská Ves."
      Well! This Maria (Nee STRISOVSKA), and Andrew were my grandparents!
      though they originally settled in CT, they later moved to NJ.
      Anyone have any connections to this family?
      And I was curious about the Mary Zastko born 1848 and her father
      Pal/Pol. Are they related to my grandparents that were mentioned later
      in the post?
      Look forward to hearing from people researching ZASTKO family!

      Kind regards,
      Thomas

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frankur@...> wrote:

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "greenestamps2003" <ugreene@o...>
      > wrote:
      > > Can anyone shed light on the town of SZABO? My paternal
      > > g-grandmother, Mary ZASTKO, was born March 23, 1848 in Totfalu (now
      > > Slovenska Ves?). Her father, Pol ZASTKO, was reported to have been
      > > known (or born?) in SZABO. I would venture a guess that it may be
      > the
      > > Hungarian name of a current Slovak town. He married Maria HECTELY
      > who
      > > was known or born in the town of Totfalu. Many thanks for your
      > help.
      >
      > Much later (73 years in 1921) a Maria Zastko, age 24 , married ,
      > Slovak, born in Slovenská Ves, emigrated to her husband Andrew in
      > Waterbury CT.
      > She traveled with her son Alois (Aloysius), age 9 months, who was also
      > born in Slovenská Ves.
      >
      > In Hungarian, tót, tóth means a Slovak.
      > -falu means village.
      > Szepes megye (county), Slovak Spis^ z^upa (county)
      > Slovenská ves (Sk) was called Szepestótfalu (H)
      >
      > Slavos^ovce, Slovakia was called Nagy (large) Szabos in
      > Hungarian, but it is located 36 miles distant from Slovenská Ves.
      >

      > Frank K

    • wanderingdalton
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 21, 2006
        Hello Ursala,

        I was reading your older post and was wondering... If you saw Frank
        K's post mentioning the ZAstko's who emmigrated in 1921.
        Maria and Andrew were my grandparents.While they initially settled in
        CT, they later moved to NJ.
        Are you related to them? I don't know what if any relationship your
        MAria Zastko from 1848 had with mine.
        Look forward to hearing from you!