Unknown occupation

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2006
      I have placed a portion of one of my family church documents in the
      files section of this site. It is labeled as "Unknown occupation".
      Next to the names of the parents are the occupations of the
      individuals. Most of the names and occupations are written in Slovak
      but some are in Hungarian. The Slovak word for farm-hand, "rolnik"
      can be seen. But also the Hungarian word for shepherd, "pasztor"
      (misspelled as "pastyr" in this document) can also be seen. I have
      tried to translate the term used with the two families at the bottom
      of the page but have not been able to find it. It appears to
      be "zoljar" but I can't find anything like this in either Slovak or
      Hungarian dictionaries. Does anyone recognize this word? The other
      thing that appears is the abbreviation "ev" which indicates that they
      were members of the Lutheran Church.
      I'd appreciate any suggestions.
      Carl