Researching "KLODZEN"

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2006
      Hello All,

      Really glad to have found this list as there appears to be much good, helpful
      information being shared. My questions are with regard to our family surname,
      KLODZEN.

      The original spelling could be KLADZAN (as it is on the 1900 Federal Census)
      or possibly KOLADZIN (name of an 1889 ship's passenger who might be
      grandfather), but since 1910 the family has used the KLODZEN spelling. My grandparents
      ethnic language was Slovak and they listed themselves in Federal census reports
      as from Slovak Hungary.

      In later years a cousin thought possibly they came from the village of
      KLADANJ in present day Bosnia, but that may have been just a guess. In 1890 they
      settled in the town of Bitumen, PA, where grandfather worked as a miner for the
      Kettle Creek Coal Company.

      If any of these surnames or their variants are familiar I would appreciate
      hearing from you. Also, since the town of Kladanj is somewhat south of Slovakia,
      is it even likely that there would have been a Slovak population there in the
      late 1800s. It was of course a part of Austria-Hungary, but would it have
      been considered a part of Slovak Hungary, too?

      I understand that 1890 or earlier immigration records from Clinton County, PA
      were never microfilmed, and that the originals, kept in the County Courthouse
      in Lock Haven, PA, were destroyed beyond recognition many years ago in a
      flood. Thus, any suggestions as to other possible sources of
      immigration/naturalization information would be much appreciated.

      Sorry for the length. Thanks for reading,

      Eugene Klodzen