Re: [S-R] Carpathian German Annual Meeting in Philadelphia

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2006
      Dear Dr. Thomas Reimer:

      Hello! I am glad to finally find an e-mail address for you. I really liked
      your Carpathian German Genealogy website and wanted to write to you for quite
      a while, but was unable, until now, to find an email address for you. My
      paternal grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC was born in the village of ALT SCHMECKS
      (STARY SMOKOVEC / TATRAFURED) which was part of the MUEHLENBACH (MLYNICA) parish
      in ZIPS (SPIS / SZEPES). I believe that EMIL KLEIN, who had written the poem
      which appears on your Carpathian German homepage, may be one of my
      grandmother's cousins, as the parish of MUEHENBACH (MLYNICA) was rather small and the
      only KLEIN family that I can recall seeing in the church records of
      MUEHLENBACH is the one related to my family -- that of CAROLUS KLEIN (who came from
      MEINHARD) and MARIA HRONEC (HRONETZ). Unfortunately, the MUEHLENBACH (MLYNICA)
      parish church records go to only 1898 (if my memory is correct) and EMIL
      KLEIN was born in 1899. The village of ALTSMECKS (STARY SMOKOVEC), which was
      founded by Count Csaky in 1793 as a hunting camp, was extremely small until
      after the turn of the 20th century. I have reviewed the MUEHLENBACH (MLYNICA)
      parish records extensively, and the only references to ALTSCHMECKS (BALNEUM,
      SCHMECKS, TATRAFURED) in the 19th century are those relating to my family.
      It appears that the family of my great, great, great grandfather JAN HRONEC
      were the first permanent residents of ALTSCHMECKS (STARY SMOKOVEC), and that
      the first recorded birth in ALTSCHMECKS (STARY SMOKOVEC) was that of one of my
      relatives MARIA HRONEC (born October 3, 1841) in what was then referred in
      the church records as BALNEUM SCHMEKS.

      My great, great, great grandfather JAN HRONEC was a leader of the hajduk,
      one the early mountain climbing guides in the High Tatras and the first known
      Custodian/Guardian of the Carpathian Forest ("Silvae Karpaty Custodis" in the
      church records). His home was referred to in the church records as "silvanus
      domo" ("Forester's Home") and "domus hajdonis" ("home of the hajdu"). He
      was married to CATHERINA KREDATUS who from the originally from the village of
      KLEIN SCHLAGENDORF (MALY SLAVKOV) near KASMARK (KEZMAROK). While I am still
      in the researching the genealogy of my grandmother's family, I believe that
      there may be a number of Carpathian German families who are related to my
      family, as many of the names appearing as godparents to members of the HRONEC
      family in the MUEHLENBACH (MLYNICA) church records are SCHMIDT, HIBLER, GROSZ,
      the teacher EMERICUS GELLHOF ("docens"), the teacher PAULUS GELLHOF ("docens"),
      and the famous mountain climber and teacher JOHANN STILL ("docens").
      Another godparent to the Hronec family was JOANNES FRANCISKUCZ ("Custos Silva
      Zsahocz"/ "Custodian/Guardian of the Eisdorf Forest"). I did notice your mention
      of the ALEXY family on your website. If my memory serves me right, there were
      records of an ALEXY family in the MUEHLENBACH parish records. Below are the
      names in my direct lineage. In addition to KREDATUS surname which is
      concentrated around KESMARK, other surnames in my direct lineage such as HAMRAK and
      KAFFAN which also appear to be of German origin.

      Please feel free to write me directly at _David1Law@..._
      (mailto:David1Law@...) . I look forward to hearing from you.

      Best regards,

      David Michael Baloga
      Cleveland, Ohio

      Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
      DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, MALY SLAVKOV (KLEIN SCHLAGENDORF), KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA,
      MLYNICA (MUHLENBACH), RICHNAVA (RICHNAU), SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC
      (ALT SCHMECKS), SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of DOLINA, OVCIE,
      SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH),
      BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY (HORBALY), HARENCSAR,
      HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
      TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
      WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.