Not all, but 98 %

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2006
      I find this article very interesting.
      Vladimir

      * * *
      Who Pays for Your Research?
      By Burned-out Volunteer

      Would you be willing to pay 59 cents for that newspaper article about
      the accident your ancestors were in? Would you pay 64 cents for the
      census you couldn't locate your grandparents in? How about 89 cents for
      that elusive marriage certificate or the death notice/obituary you
      really want? Would you even pay a nominal amount for the cemetery
      tombstone photos?

      Apparently not -- because those are the costs of a copy and a stamp that
      I have been paying for the 98 percent of the people who have used my
      services for the past nine years. Copy costs range from 20 cents a page
      up to 50 cents a page depending on where they are found. Sometimes the
      first copy is poor quality and I have to redo it. With the exception of
      nine very kind people (out of several hundred), I have personally
      subsidized their research and it has finally gotten too expensive.

      I am not government subsidized. I am not independently wealthy. I am not
      asking anyone to pay for my gasoline or the dollars I drop in the
      donation boxes at societies and museums or the candy I sometimes take to
      the ladies in the cemetery offices but it would be so nice if people
      would pay for their photos, copies and postage -- and at least ASK if I
      have out of pocket expenses."

      I understand that polite people do not like to talk about money. I do
      not like to talk about money either. But let's talk about losing
      volunteer help. By its very definition volunteer help should be free.
      But generous volunteers should not be required to PAY for YOUR copies
      and the cost of mailing them to you. There are even people who do not
      let me know when they receive the material that I have paid for and
      sent to them.

      I can't afford to do your free research any more.

      REPRINTS. Permission to reprint articles from RootsWeb Review is granted
      unless specifically stated otherwise, provided: (1) the reprint is used
      for non-commercial, educational purposes; and (2) the following notice
      appears at the end of the article: Previously published in RootsWeb
      Review: 6 September 2006, Vol. 9, No. 36.
      * * * *

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2006
        I'm surprised the volunteer lasted 9 years. I got tired of the problems
        he/she cites after a mere 2 years; though I did continue taking tombstone
        photos which I e-mailed.

        I was living in England at the time and volunteered to do research for the
        county of North Yorkshire. The vast majority of requests would start off
        with "I don't know where North Yorkshire County is." I wanted to reply:
        "Don't they have maps in your country?"

        Jim

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2006
          Dear Vladimir,

          You too have a kind heart and have helped numerous people on the list
          and sometimes you don't even get a "thank you"! However, I hope you
          have fared better than the burned out volunteer. We appreciate your
          participation and contributations.

          D^AKUJEM VA'M!

          Dr. "Q"