GOTHIC EMOTIONS

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2006
      Take a virtual tour of my photo exhibit in Levoca's old city hall
      GOTHIC EMOTIONS

      http://lindervideo.com/GothicEmotions/01.htm

      Vladi
    • krisstrot@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
        Not all of my relatives from Neuwalddorf and Gross Schlagendorf in Spis County, Slovakia, stayed in the U.S. Some came and went several times before settling in the U.S. Others came, stayed a while, and went home for good (unfortunately, just in time for WWI). Are there any ship lists or manifest information for people returning to the old country? I've never seen this question asked before and I've looked at all the usual sources for genealogy research, but have come up blank. If you have had any experience researching the "Going Home" crowd, please post it here.
        Thanks,
        Kris

        Researching: Hunsdorfer and Breyer in Spis County, Slovakia
        Scharf and Bischof in Crvenka, Kula municipality, West Bačka District of Serbia (Yugoslavia)
      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
          I have seen this question before and the only answer I ahve ever
          read is "no, there is no list of returning passengers." If anyone
          knows better, please let us know, as this also happened in my family.

          In the meantime, if returning to the 'old country' is of interst to
          you, I recommend the book "Round Trip to America, The immigrants
          Return to Europe, 1880-1930" by Mark Wyman. It covers Europeans
          overall and is not ethnic specific, but has a lot of information on
          many groups.

          Ron

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
            Certain European ports did collect records of emigrants (departures), but
            not of arrivals. The US never collected records of departures back then.
            However, because European ports were a strategic target during the World
            Wars, many ports and their records were substantially destroyed. Bremen and
            Hamburg have the only organized collections of their own, and these only of
            people departing. Certain of these you must pay to access.

            Remember also, that very few people were going to these nations: there
            wasn't a lot of concern about illegal immigrants wanting to come to their
            poor countries.

            http://www.schiffslisten.de/

            http://linktoyourroots.hamburg.de/ltyr/index.html

            http://www.cyndislist.com/portsentry.htm
            http://www.cyndislist.com/portsdepart.htm

            Bill

            Not all of my relatives from Neuwalddorf and Gross Schlagendorf in Spis
            County, Slovakia, stayed in the U.S. Some came and went several times
            before settling in the U.S. Others came, stayed a while, and went home for
            good (unfortunately, just in time for WWI). Are there any ship lists or
            manifest information for people returning to the old country? I've never
            seen this question asked before and I've looked at all the usual sources for
            genealogy research, but have come up blank. If you have had any experience
            researching the "Going Home" crowd, please post it here.
            Thanks,
            Kris

            Researching: Hunsdorfer and Breyer in Spis County, Slovakia
            Scharf and Bischof in Crvenka, Kula municipality, West
            Bačka District of Serbia (Yugoslavia)

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
              Hi Kris,

              You pose a great question. Unfortunately, I do not have the answer. I did
              notice, however, several of the villages that you mentioned -- GROSS
              SCHLAGENDORF (which is the German name for the village of VELKY SLAVKOV) and
              NEUWALDORF (which is the German name for the village of NOVA LESNA). GROSS
              SCHLAGENDORF/VELKY SLAVKOV is adjacent to MLYNICA (MULLENBACH), the parish where my
              grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC was baptized. She was actually born in the village
              of STARY SMOKOVEC (ALT SCHMECKS), which is near NEUWALDORF/NOVA LESNA.

              The HUNSDORFER surname indicates that your ancestors (in the distant past)
              came originally from the village of HUNSDORF (also known as HUNFALVA in
              Hungarian, and known as HUNCOVCE in Slovak) and thus acquired the HUNSDORFER
              surname. It is a village near the town of KEZMAROK. My great, great, great
              grandmother CATHERINA KREDATUS came from the village of MALY SLAVKOV (KLEIN
              SCHLAGENDORF), which is adjacent to HUNSDORF.

              With the very close proximity of these villages and the small size of these
              villages, there a good possibility that there may be some possible connection
              in the past. The surnames set forth below are in my direct lineage. Some
              other names connected to my HRONEC family include JARAB, KLEIN, ODRABINA,
              FRANCISCUS, KAZMER, (G)ROMAN, GROSZ, HMEL, STILL, GELHOF, MATTYASOVSZKY.

              I wish you well in your search, and if I can be of assistance, please feel
              free to write me.

              Best regards,

              David Michael Baloga
              Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.

              Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
              DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
              SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
              DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
              (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
              HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
              TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
              WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
                David:

                Just noticed your surname -- BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH)
                -- and there are some Balog*s in my ancestry -- from
                Brezina, Slovakia -- which was Kolbas, Hungary -- I
                was born in Cleveland but now live in Chicago. Our
                link would be through the MITRO (surname) line. If
                you'd like to share info, please contact me directly.
                I was in Brezina in July and have some photos of the
                cemetery -- I noticed your surname there.

                Caye

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Evelyn Marsh
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                  Shannan,
                  My grandmother's maiden name was Bodnar - born in the Micholovce/Nagymihail area. She was born on 18 March 1879. Any interest?

                  Evelyn Marsh

                  SHANAN GILBY <gilbster10802004@...> wrote:
                  I am looking up the family of Stanko, Bodnar, and Malak. Thank you anyway. Shanan

                  Milan Huba <illy@...> wrote: Since we appear to be tracing the Danko family, I knew a Slovak called Sam
                  Danko in Chicago. Unfortunately he died approximately 15 years ago and I
                  have lost contact with his relatives but I am sure that they still live in
                  the Chicagoland area.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                    I also have a Michael Bodnar from that same time period and place,
                    later married in Duquesne PA. Bodnar & Valyo are pretty common in the
                    Michalovce area.

                    Ron

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Marsh <o_e_marsh@...>