GOTHIC EMOTIONS

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2006
      Take a virtual tour of my photo exhibit in Levoca's old city hall
      GOTHIC EMOTIONS

      http://lindervideo.com/GothicEmotions/01.htm

      Vladi
    • Milan Huba
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
        Since we appear to be tracing the Danko family, I knew a Slovak called Sam
        Danko in Chicago. Unfortunately he died approximately 15 years ago and I
        have lost contact with his relatives but I am sure that they still live in
        the Chicagoland area.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2006
          I am looking up the family of Stanko, Bodnar, and Malak. Thank you anyway. Shanan

          Milan Huba <illy@...> wrote: Since we appear to be tracing the Danko family, I knew a Slovak called Sam
          Danko in Chicago. Unfortunately he died approximately 15 years ago and I
          have lost contact with his relatives but I am sure that they still live in
          the Chicagoland area.

          If you go to the Pa. Centre Co site you may get some hits on the Danko
          family. I know there used to be Danko's that lived in Snow Shoe and
          Clarence, Pa.
          Probably still is and could be some relation way back, who knows. Peggy

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Jason and Shanan

        • ajdolli
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 5, 2006
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Milan Huba" <illy@...> wrote:

            > Since we appear to be tracing the Danko family, I knew a Slovak
            called Sam Danko in Chicago. Unfortunately he died approximately 15
            years ago and I have lost contact with his relatives but I am sure
            that they still live in the Chicagoland area.

            I'm connected (by blood or marriage) with at least two of the many
            Danko families in the Chicago area. They're associated with Trinity
            Slovak Lutheran Church on the northwest side.

            Anabeth
          • krisstrot@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
              Not all of my relatives from Neuwalddorf and Gross Schlagendorf in Spis County, Slovakia, stayed in the U.S. Some came and went several times before settling in the U.S. Others came, stayed a while, and went home for good (unfortunately, just in time for WWI). Are there any ship lists or manifest information for people returning to the old country? I've never seen this question asked before and I've looked at all the usual sources for genealogy research, but have come up blank. If you have had any experience researching the "Going Home" crowd, please post it here.
              Thanks,
              Kris

              Researching: Hunsdorfer and Breyer in Spis County, Slovakia
              Scharf and Bischof in Crvenka, Kula municipality, West Bačka District of Serbia (Yugoslavia)
            • amiak27
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
                I have seen this question before and the only answer I ahve ever
                read is "no, there is no list of returning passengers." If anyone
                knows better, please let us know, as this also happened in my family.

                In the meantime, if returning to the 'old country' is of interst to
                you, I recommend the book "Round Trip to America, The immigrants
                Return to Europe, 1880-1930" by Mark Wyman. It covers Europeans
                overall and is not ethnic specific, but has a lot of information on
                many groups.

                Ron

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Certain European ports did collect records of emigrants (departures), but
                  not of arrivals. The US never collected records of departures back then.
                  However, because European ports were a strategic target during the World
                  Wars, many ports and their records were substantially destroyed. Bremen and
                  Hamburg have the only organized collections of their own, and these only of
                  people departing. Certain of these you must pay to access.

                  Remember also, that very few people were going to these nations: there
                  wasn't a lot of concern about illegal immigrants wanting to come to their
                  poor countries.

                  http://www.schiffslisten.de/

                  http://linktoyourroots.hamburg.de/ltyr/index.html

                  http://www.cyndislist.com/portsentry.htm
                  http://www.cyndislist.com/portsdepart.htm

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
                    Hi Kris,

                    You pose a great question. Unfortunately, I do not have the answer. I did
                    notice, however, several of the villages that you mentioned -- GROSS
                    SCHLAGENDORF (which is the German name for the village of VELKY SLAVKOV) and
                    NEUWALDORF (which is the German name for the village of NOVA LESNA). GROSS
                    SCHLAGENDORF/VELKY SLAVKOV is adjacent to MLYNICA (MULLENBACH), the parish where my
                    grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC was baptized. She was actually born in the village
                    of STARY SMOKOVEC (ALT SCHMECKS), which is near NEUWALDORF/NOVA LESNA.

                    The HUNSDORFER surname indicates that your ancestors (in the distant past)
                    came originally from the village of HUNSDORF (also known as HUNFALVA in
                    Hungarian, and known as HUNCOVCE in Slovak) and thus acquired the HUNSDORFER
                    surname. It is a village near the town of KEZMAROK. My great, great, great
                    grandmother CATHERINA KREDATUS came from the village of MALY SLAVKOV (KLEIN
                    SCHLAGENDORF), which is adjacent to HUNSDORF.

                    With the very close proximity of these villages and the small size of these
                    villages, there a good possibility that there may be some possible connection
                    in the past. The surnames set forth below are in my direct lineage. Some
                    other names connected to my HRONEC family include JARAB, KLEIN, ODRABINA,
                    FRANCISCUS, KAZMER, (G)ROMAN, GROSZ, HMEL, STILL, GELHOF, MATTYASOVSZKY.

                    I wish you well in your search, and if I can be of assistance, please feel
                    free to write me.

                    Best regards,

                    David Michael Baloga
                    Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.

                    Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
                    DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
                    SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
                    DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
                    (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
                    HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
                    TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
                    WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
                      David:

                      Just noticed your surname -- BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH)
                      -- and there are some Balog*s in my ancestry -- from
                      Brezina, Slovakia -- which was Kolbas, Hungary -- I
                      was born in Cleveland but now live in Chicago. Our
                      link would be through the MITRO (surname) line. If
                      you'd like to share info, please contact me directly.
                      I was in Brezina in July and have some photos of the
                      cemetery -- I noticed your surname there.

                      Caye

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Evelyn Marsh

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                          I also have a Michael Bodnar from that same time period and place,
                          later married in Duquesne PA. Bodnar & Valyo are pretty common in the
                          Michalovce area.

                          Ron

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Marsh <o_e_marsh@...>