Re: [S-R] Danko (more info)

  • Gordon L. Grening
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3 5:10 AM
      Finished the census search. The Danko family I am related to, by marriage
      only, lived in Portage, Cambria County, PA. John Danko married a Mary Yacos
      around 1919. John's father was Peter Danko who immigrated around 1887/1888
      from Austria/Slovakia.

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3 10:35 AM
        If you go to the Pa. Centre Co site you may get some hits on the Danko
        family. I know there used to be Danko's that lived in Snow Shoe and Clarence, Pa.
        Probably still is and could be some relation way back, who knows. Peggy

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3 4:29 PM
          Take a virtual tour of my photo exhibit in Levoca's old city hall
          GOTHIC EMOTIONS

          http://lindervideo.com/GothicEmotions/01.htm

          Vladi
        • Vladimir Linder

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4 11:24 AM
              Since we appear to be tracing the Danko family, I knew a Slovak called Sam
              Danko in Chicago. Unfortunately he died approximately 15 years ago and I
              have lost contact with his relatives but I am sure that they still live in
              the Chicagoland area.

              If you go to the Pa. Centre Co site you may get some hits on the Danko
              family. I know there used to be Danko's that lived in Snow Shoe and
              Clarence, Pa.
              Probably still is and could be some relation way back, who knows. Peggy

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • SHANAN GILBY
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4 11:33 AM
                I am looking up the family of Stanko, Bodnar, and Malak. Thank you anyway. Shanan

                Milan Huba <illy@...> wrote: Since we appear to be tracing the Danko family, I knew a Slovak called Sam
                Danko in Chicago. Unfortunately he died approximately 15 years ago and I
                have lost contact with his relatives but I am sure that they still live in
                the Chicagoland area.

                If you go to the Pa. Centre Co site you may get some hits on the Danko
                family. I know there used to be Danko's that lived in Snow Shoe and
                Clarence, Pa.
                Probably still is and could be some relation way back, who knows. Peggy

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Jason and Shanan

              • ajdolli
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 5 4:13 PM
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Milan Huba" <illy@...> wrote:

                  > Since we appear to be tracing the Danko family, I knew a Slovak
                  called Sam Danko in Chicago. Unfortunately he died approximately 15
                  years ago and I have lost contact with his relatives but I am sure
                  that they still live in the Chicagoland area.

                  I'm connected (by blood or marriage) with at least two of the many
                  Danko families in the Chicago area. They're associated with Trinity
                  Slovak Lutheran Church on the northwest side.

                  Anabeth
                • krisstrot@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 6 3:17 PM
                    Not all of my relatives from Neuwalddorf and Gross Schlagendorf in Spis County, Slovakia, stayed in the U.S. Some came and went several times before settling in the U.S. Others came, stayed a while, and went home for good (unfortunately, just in time for WWI). Are there any ship lists or manifest information for people returning to the old country? I've never seen this question asked before and I've looked at all the usual sources for genealogy research, but have come up blank. If you have had any experience researching the "Going Home" crowd, please post it here.
                    Thanks,
                    Kris

                    Researching: Hunsdorfer and Breyer in Spis County, Slovakia
                    Scharf and Bischof in Crvenka, Kula municipality, West Bačka District of Serbia (Yugoslavia)
                  • amiak27
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 6 5:26 PM
                      I have seen this question before and the only answer I ahve ever
                      read is "no, there is no list of returning passengers." If anyone
                      knows better, please let us know, as this also happened in my family.

                      In the meantime, if returning to the 'old country' is of interst to
                      you, I recommend the book "Round Trip to America, The immigrants
                      Return to Europe, 1880-1930" by Mark Wyman. It covers Europeans
                      overall and is not ethnic specific, but has a lot of information on
                      many groups.

                      Ron

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 6 7:04 PM
                        Certain European ports did collect records of emigrants (departures), but
                        not of arrivals. The US never collected records of departures back then.
                        However, because European ports were a strategic target during the World
                        Wars, many ports and their records were substantially destroyed. Bremen and
                        Hamburg have the only organized collections of their own, and these only of
                        people departing. Certain of these you must pay to access.

                        Remember also, that very few people were going to these nations: there
                        wasn't a lot of concern about illegal immigrants wanting to come to their
                        poor countries.

                        http://www.schiffslisten.de/

                        http://linktoyourroots.hamburg.de/ltyr/index.html

                        http://www.cyndislist.com/portsentry.htm
                        http://www.cyndislist.com/portsdepart.htm

                        Bill

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 7 8:44 AM
                          Hi Kris,

                          You pose a great question. Unfortunately, I do not have the answer. I did
                          notice, however, several of the villages that you mentioned -- GROSS
                          SCHLAGENDORF (which is the German name for the village of VELKY SLAVKOV) and
                          NEUWALDORF (which is the German name for the village of NOVA LESNA). GROSS
                          SCHLAGENDORF/VELKY SLAVKOV is adjacent to MLYNICA (MULLENBACH), the parish where my
                          grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC was baptized. She was actually born in the village
                          of STARY SMOKOVEC (ALT SCHMECKS), which is near NEUWALDORF/NOVA LESNA.

                          The HUNSDORFER surname indicates that your ancestors (in the distant past)
                          came originally from the village of HUNSDORF (also known as HUNFALVA in
                          Hungarian, and known as HUNCOVCE in Slovak) and thus acquired the HUNSDORFER
                          surname. It is a village near the town of KEZMAROK. My great, great, great
                          grandmother CATHERINA KREDATUS came from the village of MALY SLAVKOV (KLEIN
                          SCHLAGENDORF), which is adjacent to HUNSDORF.

                          With the very close proximity of these villages and the small size of these
                          villages, there a good possibility that there may be some possible connection
                          in the past. The surnames set forth below are in my direct lineage. Some
                          other names connected to my HRONEC family include JARAB, KLEIN, ODRABINA,
                          FRANCISCUS, KAZMER, (G)ROMAN, GROSZ, HMEL, STILL, GELHOF, MATTYASOVSZKY.

                          I wish you well in your search, and if I can be of assistance, please feel
                          free to write me.

                          Best regards,

                          David Michael Baloga
                          Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.

                          Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
                          DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
                          SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
                          DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
                          (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
                          HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
                          TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
                          WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 7 8:57 AM
                            David:

                            Just noticed your surname -- BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH)
                            -- and there are some Balog*s in my ancestry -- from
                            Brezina, Slovakia -- which was Kolbas, Hungary -- I
                            was born in Cleveland but now live in Chicago. Our
                            link would be through the MITRO (surname) line. If
                            you'd like to share info, please contact me directly.
                            I was in Brezina in July and have some photos of the
                            cemetery -- I noticed your surname there.

                            Caye

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Evelyn Marsh

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 1, 2006
                                I also have a Michael Bodnar from that same time period and place,
                                later married in Duquesne PA. Bodnar & Valyo are pretty common in the
                                Michalovce area.

                                Ron

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Marsh <o_e_marsh@...>