Re: [S-R] Traveling to your ancestor's village

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22 9:04 PM
      Anticipating that you meant east and wrote west as stated in other
      emails, Budapest isa bout as close as you can conveniently come.
      Making your arrangements all in Ukraine and flying to Kiev or Lvov
      will be more expensive but have the advantage of encountering a
      single language and no trouble crossing borders. From Hungary you
      may have a very difficult time renting a car to cross into Ukraine.

      You might consider locating a reliable native with a car who will
      both drive and interpret. Particualarly for a first trip, that may
      be cheapest (compared to car rental + interpreter), by far easier on
      the nerves, and much simpler.

      One trick I used with Cyrillic road signs was to plan ahead and
      follow the first four letters of the names of towns and landmarks.
      That was far easier while driving than trying to stay safe and read
      verylongwords at the same time.

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Robin" <robinwinner@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to all who replied. I would be going to the villages of
      > Korytynany and Csascloc (sp) which I believe are about 175-180
      miles > west of Budapest. I don't know of any relatives there and I
      don't > speak any language other than English, so I would definitely
      need > help there. I was wondering if it would be to far from the
      villages > to stay in Budapest.

      > This isn't something that I'll be doing any time soon, I was just
      > sort of putting feelers out to see how involved it would be.
      Thanks
      > again!
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R. Plichta"
      > <frank.r.plichta@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Robin,
      > >
      > > I think a lot depends on where you are going and what else you
      want
      > to do
      > > while you are across the ocean.
      > > Are you going ONLY to visit relatives or do you also intend to
      > visit some of
      > > the other major cities for some site-seeing? Will you visit the
      > regional
      > > archives?
      > > Will you be staying with relatives that you are already in
      contact
      > with? Do
      > > they speak English? What is your relatives' second language?
      If