RE: [S-R] Traveling to your ancestor's village

  • Frank R. Plichta
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2006
      Robin,

      I think a lot depends on where you are going and what else you want to do
      while you are across the ocean.
      Are you going ONLY to visit relatives or do you also intend to visit some of
      the other major cities for some site-seeing? Will you visit the regional
      archives?
      Will you be staying with relatives that you are already in contact with? Do
      they speak English? What is your relatives' second language? If you do not
      speak Slovak, do you have knowledge of a second language such as German or
      Russian which your relatives might also speak?

      Trains are plentiful and easy to travel on and would be easy if you are
      going to a major city. Streetcars, busses and taxis are available in any
      large city. Driving a rental car is an option if you are familiar with the
      international road signs and want to see more of the local countryside or if
      you are traveling to small out of the way villages. Just make arrangements
      to pick up the rental car at the airport where you land.

      When I have traveled, I usually go for 3 or 4 weeks and plan to spend a few
      days in Vienna, Austria, one of my favorite cities. I always rent a car
      because I am going to several small villages which although accessible by
      train and bus, I don't want to be restricted by the train and bus schedules.

      My last trip in March 2006 was three weeks to Austria, Hungary, Slovakia and
      Czech Republic. I rented a car. Diesel was $4.64 per gallon (1 Euro per
      liter.) I drove 1,300 miles in three weeks.

      I do speak/read/write German. Have a fair verbal understanding of French
      and Slovak. I also have Slovak relatives whose English is just a little bit
      better than my Slovak. We get along just grand.

      Frank Plichta
      Galax, Virginia

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2006
        Thanks to all who replied. I would be going to the villages of
        Korytynany and Csascloc (sp) which I believe are about 175-180 miles
        west of Budapest. I don't know of any relatives there and I don't
        speak any language other than English, so I would definitely need
        help there. I was wondering if it would be to far from the villages
        to stay in Budapest.

        This isn't something that I'll be doing any time soon, I was just
        sort of putting feelers out to see how involved it would be. Thanks
        again!

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R. Plichta"

        ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
        > Behalf Of Robin
        > Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:30 PM
        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [S-R] Travelling to your ancestor's village
        >
        > I have a few questions for those of you who have travelled to your
        > ancestor's village.
        >
        > How do you find the closest airport? Once you are there, do you
        rent a
        > vehicle and drive the rest of the way or what is the mode of
        > transportation to get to your village? I assume it would be
        advisable
        > to hire a guide and/or intepreter. Where would you find such a
        person?
        > Sorry for all the questions, but this is an ultimate goal of mine
        and
        > since I don't travel very often, I'm not even sure where to start.
        > Would it be better to go through a travel agency?
        >
        > Thanks for any input!
        >
        > Robin

        email to
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Richard Custer
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 22, 2006
          West of Budapest? No, these places are in the Zakarpatska oblast of UKRAINE. Right outside the city of Uzhhorod, to be exact... Korytniany and Chaslivtsi.

          <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

          > Robin,
          >
          > I think a lot depends on where you are going and what else you want
          to do
          > while you are across the ocean.
          > Are you going ONLY to visit relatives or do you also intend to
          visit some of
          > the other major cities for some site-seeing? Will you visit the
          regional
          > archives?
          > Will you be staying with relatives that you are already in contact
          with? Do
          > they speak English? What is your relatives' second language? If
          you do not
          > speak Slovak, do you have knowledge of a second language such as
          German or
          > Russian which your relatives might also speak?
          >
          > Trains are plentiful and easy to travel on and would be easy if you
          are
          > going to a major city. Streetcars, busses and taxis are available
          in any
          > large city. Driving a rental car is an option if you are familiar
          with the
          > international road signs and want to see more of the local
          countryside or if
          > you are traveling to small out of the way villages. Just make
          arrangements
          > to pick up the rental car at the airport where you land.
          >
          > When I have traveled, I usually go for 3 or 4 weeks and plan to
          spend a few
          > days in Vienna, Austria, one of my favorite cities. I always rent
          a car
          > because I am going to several small villages which although
          accessible by
          > train and bus, I don't want to be restricted by the train and bus
          schedules.

          > My last trip in March 2006 was three weeks to Austria, Hungary,
          Slovakia and
          > Czech Republic. I rented a car. Diesel was $4.64 per gallon (1
          Euro per
          > liter.) I drove 1,300 miles in three weeks.
          >
          > I do speak/read/write German. Have a fair verbal understanding of
          French
          > and Slovak. I also have Slovak relatives whose English is just a
          little bit
          > better than my Slovak. We get along just grand.
          >
          > Frank Plichta
          > Galax, Virginia

        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 22, 2006
            Anticipating that you meant east and wrote west as stated in other
            emails, Budapest isa bout as close as you can conveniently come.
            Making your arrangements all in Ukraine and flying to Kiev or Lvov
            will be more expensive but have the advantage of encountering a
            single language and no trouble crossing borders. From Hungary you
            may have a very difficult time renting a car to cross into Ukraine.

            You might consider locating a reliable native with a car who will
            both drive and interpret. Particualarly for a first trip, that may
            be cheapest (compared to car rental + interpreter), by far easier on
            the nerves, and much simpler.

            One trick I used with Cyrillic road signs was to plan ahead and
            follow the first four letters of the names of towns and landmarks.
            That was far easier while driving than trying to stay safe and read
            verylongwords at the same time.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Robin" <robinwinner@...> wrote:

> [...]
            rent
            > a car
            > > because I am going to several small villages which although
            > accessible by
            > > train and bus, I don't want to be restricted by the train and
            bus
            > schedules.
            > >
            > > My last trip in March 2006 was three weeks to Austria, Hungary,
            > Slovakia and
            > > Czech Republic. I rented a car. Diesel was $4.64 per gallon (1
            > Euro per
            > > liter.) I drove 1,300 miles in three weeks.
            > >
            > > I do speak/read/write German. Have a fair verbal understanding
            of
            > French
            > > and Slovak. I also have Slovak relatives whose English is just
            > little bit
            > > better than my Slovak. We get along just grand.

          • genealogyslovakia
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 23, 2006
              Dear Robin,

              I live in Slovakia in Kosice and I can offer myself as tourist guide
              with my own car for you.

              If you would like me to go to your ancestry villages in Ukraine, plese
              contact me:
              jurajcisarik@...

              Juraj Cisarik /36/

              http://www.cisarik.com