Travelling to your ancestor's village

  • Robin
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2006
      I have a few questions for those of you who have travelled to your
      ancestor's village.

      How do you find the closest airport? Once you are there, do you rent a
      vehicle and drive the rest of the way or what is the mode of
      transportation to get to your village? I assume it would be advisable
      to hire a guide and/or intepreter. Where would you find such a person?
      Sorry for all the questions, but this is an ultimate goal of mine and
      since I don't travel very often, I'm not even sure where to start.
      Would it be better to go through a travel agency?

      Thanks for any input!

      Robin
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2006
        Depends on your "gumption" -- I kind of wung it --
        tried not to overanticipate things like getting lost
        (you will), interpreter (you could drive yourself
        crazy on that one) -- I found sign language worked
        pretty well for me, etc.

        What village are you wanting to visit, I'll help you
        locate the closest airport.

        Caye

        --- Robin <robinwinner@...> wrote:

        > I have a few questions for those of you who have
        > travelled to your
        > ancestor's village.
        >
        > How do you find the closest airport? Once you are
        > there, do you rent a
        > vehicle and drive the rest of the way or what is the
        > mode of
        > transportation to get to your village? I assume it
        > would be advisable
        > to hire a guide and/or intepreter. Where would you
        > find such a person?
        > Sorry for all the questions, but this is an ultimate
        > goal of mine and
        > since I don't travel very often, I'm not even sure
        > where to start.
        > Would it be better to go through a travel agency?
        >
        > Thanks for any input!
        >
        > Robin

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22, 2006
          >>> Would it be better to go through a travel agency? <<<

          Helene Cincebeaux designs tours that specialize in reuniting Americans
          with Slovak relatives. Check her out at http://www.our-slovakia.com/

          For a neophite, this would be the easy way to go.

          You can check out Bill T's first trip to Slovakia at http://iabsi.com/
        • Matt Procter
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 22, 2006
            Robin,

            Car Rental vs. Public Transportation
            If your village is remote (not in or adjacent to a medium/large city) I would highly recommend renting a car. It would have added a lot of burden and additional time if I had to arrange a train and then some type of car service to get to my ancestor's village (Stiavnik) which, although near to some cities when looking on a map, it was still rather remote. And I didn't want to impose on my relatives or be at their mercy by having them be my transportation.

            Directions/Travel infrastructure
            My own experience was that the maps provided online (like Via Michelin http://www.viamichelin.com) were very accurate. I didn't get lost once, despite never having been to Europe/Slovakia before. I found the traffic signs to be very decipherable, although different then what we have in the US. No, their infrastructure is not as built out as ours, but in some ways that makes travel easier, as their is only one way to get to where you need to go. I should point out that this was in the Western corridor, so I don't know how applicable it is for the Central or Eastern portions of the country.

            Interpreter
            I would highly recommend having one arranged ahead of time. Others here can give you specific suggestions on who provides these services in country. I did not have an interpreter. I lucked out that my relative just happened to have someone around that spoke English that day. Had he not it would have severely diminished the value of my trip as we would have done a lot of smiles and head nods but not little real communication or information sharing.

            Planning
            Make sure you have a plan ahead of time for what you want to accomplish on your trip. And prioritize those items because you never have enough time to do everything. So be realistic. I wasn't realistic in what I could do with the time I had. I had plans to go to Bytca to look in the archives, to spend time in the village cemetery, and start looking up another side of the family while I was there. But the relatives I met were so social I ended up spending most of my time just talking and getting to know them, introducing me to other relatives, giving me a tour and hike of the village and surrounding countryside. Not what I had planned but it was just as (if not more so) fulfilling.

            Good luck,
            Matt