Re: Re: [S-R] Sumiac

  • Karen C
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 21, 2006
      Sorry I took so long getting back with you, I've been on vacation. My C'upka from Sumiac attended a Greek Rite Church in the U.S. I would really appreciate it if you could send the FHS numbers to me. I'll compare it with the FHS numbers that john adams already forwarded to me.

      On vacation I visited with my in-laws and was able to get a lot of old pictures and I pushed them for as much info as I could. Unfortunately, they don't remember many names of cousins that they visited in Pennsylvania but with the Ellis Island and census records I've seen, I'm sure there were some cousins living in the area. Seems they were a very quiet family.

      Like I've mentioned before, I have been concentrating on my Irish relatives only because I am going there in the Fall. But when I get back I'ld like to have those films waiting for me.

      If you took any pictures while you were there I would love to see a few. You could e-mail me directly. Again, thanks so much for your help.

      Karen

      hewlett@... wrote:
      Karen,

      I just returned from my 2nd trip to Sumiac (and other areas in Slovakia) last night, so I am coming in late to this topic. The only church in Sumiac is a Greek Catholic church. I don't recall reading what religion you may have mentioned your ancestors to be. If they were Evangelical I can give you the LDS film numbers, as I have researched that area. You may find some English speaking people at the tourist areas (pensions) but the village is a bit remote and the locals most likely won't know English, at least I didn't run across any. There is a folk festival every year there which I attended both times. It is not as big as a few other better known festivals in Slovakia, but nice. My grandparents lived there for 20 years and 8 of their 10 children were born there so I was quite interested in the area. If you need Evangelical church information let me know.

      Jet lagged in Pittsburgh,
      Joyce