surnames - KALNAS

  • Barbara/Bill
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 17, 2006
      I read that my great great grandmother's surname was KALNAS.....I haven't seen this tossed about in either the Slovak or Rusyn lists. Is it a "common" name or unusual or does it give a clue on her roots?
      Thanx

      Barbara - Uprooting family trees
      and/or
      Capt. Bill

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 17, 2006
        Doing a few searches it looks like Kalnas is unusual/rare.

        Search the Ellis Island Database using Steve Morse's search form:

        http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html?first_kind=1
        <http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html?first_kind=1&FNM=&kind=c
        lose&LNM> &FNM=&kind=close&LNM=

        And try the RadixIndex surname search.

        http://www.radixindex.com/surnameindex/surnameindex.shtml

        Get a map out and see if they all [or most of them] converge in an area.
        RadixIndex also has a tool for mapping name frequencies that they have in
        their toolkit.

        http://www.radixindex.com/databases/pv001002.shtml

        Jim

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 17, 2006
          Hello,
          I joined this list 10 days ago, but becayse I'm very busy just today
          read few emails.
          this is my first reply.
          I do speak Slovak and Czech, and little bit other Slavic languages,
          but not Hungarian.
          Word "kalna" (with second 'a' long - forward pointing line on top of
          second 'a') means muddy/unclear (like unclear water) in female form
          "kalny" (with long 'y') means same think but male form.
          Name "Kalnas" (if Slovak) would most likely have little '"v" on top
          of 'S' and sound like if in English written as "sh".
          Which would make it 'male' ending in Slovak, but not if they were
          Hungarian. Slovak ending from word 'kalna' for female name would be:
          Kalna (with long second 'a')

          or
          Kalnasova (with long 2nd and 3rd 'a' and little 'v' on 's')

          hope this might help a little your uprootend family tree
          vladimir rosenfeld
          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          At 11:11 AM 8/17/2006, you wrote:

          >I read that my great great grandmother's surname was KALNAS.....I
          >haven't seen this tossed about in either the Slovak or Rusyn lists.
          >Is it a "common" name or unusual or does it give a clue on her roots?
          >Thanx
          >
          >Barbara - Uprooting family trees
          >and/or
          >Capt. Bill
        • Robert Shive

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
              If you give a state (or states [unless you are sure it
              was only PA]) where they resided, and possible birth
              dates -- I'll look them up in my Heritage Quest to see
              if I can find them in any US censuses (probably
              spelled that wrong).

              Caye

              --- Robert Shive <robert_shive@...> wrote:

              > My great aunt married a John Kalnas. I don't think
              > it's a common name, but there are a few families
              > around with that name in the U.S. I'm still trying
              > to get information on John myself. He may have been
              > from Also Mislye (near Kosice), which is the same
              > village my great aunt was from. On the Steven Ross
              > website I discovered the name Kalnasi, which may be
              > the same as Kalnas with the Hungarian noble i.
              > There was at least one Kalnas in the 1930 directory
              > for Catasauqua, PA.
              >
              > Bob Shive
              >

              > Barbara/Bill <bandbpompei@...> wrote:
              > I read that my great great grandmother's
              > surname was KALNAS.....I haven't seen this tossed
              > about in either the Slovak or Rusyn lists. Is it a
              > "common" name or unusual or does it give a clue on
              > her roots?
              > Thanx
              >
              > Barbara - Uprooting family trees
              > and/or
              > Capt. Bill

              > removed]

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
                Found two John Kalnas in PA in the 1920 census -- they
                were about 30-ish years old at that time.

                There are others in various states and for various
                years, if you give me more info, I can narrow it down
                for you.

                Caye

                --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                > If you give a state (or states [unless you are sure
                > it
                > was only PA]) where they resided, and possible birth
                > dates -- I'll look them up in my Heritage Quest to
                > see
                > if I can find them in any US censuses (probably
                > spelled that wrong).
                >

                > Caye
                >
                > --- Robert Shive <robert_shive@...> wrote:
                >
                > > My great aunt married a John Kalnas. I don't
                > think
                > > it's a common name, but there are a few families
                > > around with that name in the U.S. I'm still
                > trying
                > > to get information on John myself. He may have
                > been
                > > from Also Mislye (near Kosice), which is the same
                > > village my great aunt was from. On the Steven
                > Ross
                > > website I discovered the name Kalnasi, which may
                > be
                > > the same as Kalnas with the Hungarian noble i.
                > > There was at least one Kalnas in the 1930
                > directory
                > > for Catasauqua, PA.
                > >
                > > Bob Shive
                > >

                > > Barbara/Bill <bandbpompei@...> wrote:
                > > I read that my great great grandmother's
                > > surname was KALNAS.....I haven't seen this tossed
                > > about in either the Slovak or Rusyn lists. Is it a
                > > "common" name or unusual or does it give a clue on
                > > her roots?
                > > Thanx
                > >
                > > Barbara - Uprooting family trees
                > > and/or
                > > Capt. Bill

                > > removed]

                > > removed]

                > protection around
                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • John Vamos
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
                  There is a searchable transcription of the Also Mislye Roman Catholic Church records available on line at www.rebaryoung.org. Births and marriages are complete. Deaths are listed through 1850. This is a work in progress by Jim Rebar.

                  A search for surname Kalnas yielded a Janos Kalnassi, born Sept. 22 1886, residing in Felso Mislye, a neighboring village. Parents: Janos Kalnassi & Erzsebet Ribar.

                  I hope this is useful.

                  John Vamos

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
                    There were some in Catasauqua (PA) and some in Phillipsburg (NJ), where John and Mary lived. I believe that at one time there were some in Shamokin (PA) and perhaps in Pittsburgh. As nearly as I can tell, John was born in 1885.

                    It's an easy name to produce inventive spellings for. My great aunt Mary pronounced it Kal-nash. the last a sounding almost like the o in oxen. The name may not be Slovak, but she and John certainly felt they were. The 1930 census got it as Kalnas ; but in 1910 the census had it as "Colniche." I finally found it in 1910 by using some of my own inventive spellings and the soundex search option on Ancestry.

                    There may be several different families. I'm still trying figure out if there was/is any relation among them.

                    Checking back into my old records, I found that on his marriage license application (1908), John's name was spelled Kolnasz. Then somebody put a diacritical on the o and crossed out the z. John's death record (1932) lists his father as John Kalnas and his mother as Mary Shisok.

                    Bob S.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Janet Kozlay
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 30, 2006
                      The Kalnasi/Kalnassi/Kalnasy/Kalnassy name points to the village of Kálnás
                      in Sáros megye. The “i” translates as “from,” but it is not a noble suffix.
                      It is a “y” that signifies nobility and translates as “of,” like the German
                      “von,” and indeed there was a noble Kálnássy family. Nevertheless, one
                      should not automatically assume nobility when a Hungarian name ends in “y.”
                      The Kozlai family from Also Mislye is sometimes spelled Kozlay, and they
                      were not noble.

                      You might check out Jim Rebar’s site (http://www.rebaryoung.org/index.html).
                      Jim has transcribed many of the church records from Also Mislye and he lists
                      the birth of a Kalnassi there.

                      Janet