Re: [S-R] Surnames with diminutive endings

  • christopher gajda
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 17, 2006
      OVA, ONYA, are used to show feminine version of surname. My grandfather was Yura Vasko, his wife Mary Vaskonya. I have heard of KA as name ending. My grandparents had neighbors Mr. Lilikutch and Mrs. Lilikutchka. Also, my Grandfather's mother's maiden name was "Gregushka" (Gregus/Hreha)

      Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
      Do you mean the -OVA ending? Or do you mean -KA?

      I can explain the -OVA ending, although I've
      personally never seen a -KA ending to a surname, but
      please give an example and I'll see what I can find
      out.

      Caye

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 17, 2006
        Hello,
        in Slovak
        diminutive of "kotol" (an object) are:
        kotlik (with long 'i')
        and even more diminutvie:
        kotlicek (with long 'i' and "v" over 'c')

        and diminutive for "kotliar" (one who makes such objects)
        is "kotliarik"

        vladimir
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx