Re: [S-R] Surnames with diminutive endings

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 17, 2006
      he means his surname, Caye.
      Vladimir

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Caye Caswick
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 7:41 PM
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Surnames with diminutive endings

      Do you mean the -OVA ending? Or do you mean -KA?

      I can explain the -OVA ending, although I've
      personally never seen a -KA ending to a surname, but
      please give an example and I'll see what I can find
      out.

      Caye

      --- Carl Kotlarchik <kkotlarc@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know why certain Slovak family names
      > have a diminutive
      > ending? I can understand having a first name with a
      > diminutive ending
      > to show fondness for the person but why would a
      > whole family take such
      > an ending on their surname? In the area where my
      > family lived in Gomor
      > County, I find our base family name with the
      > diminutive ending but also
      > individuals with just the base name. Is it
      > possible that these people
      > are related or are they really separate families?

      > removed]

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      http://www.eset.sk

    • christopher gajda
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 17, 2006
        OVA, ONYA, are used to show feminine version of surname. My grandfather was Yura Vasko, his wife Mary Vaskonya. I have heard of KA as name ending. My grandparents had neighbors Mr. Lilikutch and Mrs. Lilikutchka. Also, my Grandfather's mother's maiden name was "Gregushka" (Gregus/Hreha)

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 17, 2006
          Hello,
          in Slovak
          diminutive of "kotol" (an object) are:
          kotlik (with long 'i')
          and even more diminutvie:
          kotlicek (with long 'i' and "v" over 'c')

          and diminutive for "kotliar" (one who makes such objects)
          is "kotliarik"

          vladimir
          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx