RE: [S-R] Hungary map

  • Frank R. Plichta
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15 6:13 PM
      Matt,

      I'm not sure which map of Hungary you are referring to but the easiest way
      to orient the map to modern Slovakia is to compare the two maps
      side-by-side.
      You can pick out geographical features such as rivers, mountain ridge lines,
      major cities and other terrain features and look for the same related
      features on the Slovak map. After you do it a few times and become familiar
      with the topography of the region it becomes easier and easier.

      In some of my early research I found a text reference to a village in a
      German text from 1780 at the Vienna archives. When I returned to the United
      States I when to the University of North Carolina geography department and
      asked for a map in the German language of Moravia prior to 1780. They gave
      me a map published in 1660. I then was able to orient the 1660 map with a
      1995 map of the Czech Republic and within 2-3 minutes was able to pinpoint
      the village on the modern map. Even though the German map used German place
      names for locations and the Czech map used modern-day Czech names for the
      same locations.

      It just takes a little common sense and a little research where you actually
      go to a source and find what it is that you need.
      Good Luck,
      Frank

      Frank Plichta
      Galax, Virginia