Re: Fire Proof Safe

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2006
      I plan no fancy protection of my information on CD's or on the
      computer. My protection will be sharing it as updated with siblings
      and cousins.

      Ron
      PS my fingers put in "so' instead of "no", so I deleted the message
      and sent this correction.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "raybravo2000" <colinvv@...>
      wrote:

      > Years ago when CDs first started to be used for storing
      information from computers what
      > we were told at the museum where I worked was that the plastic
      coating on the CD would
      > melt in a "fire proof" safe but the actual metal disc would still
      be there. Damaged maybe
      > but there is the possibility it could be recoated and used again.
      At least that was the
      > theory several years ago.
      >
      > The best thing to do is to have CDs, or whatever storage devices,
      in two places. So a fire
      > proof safe at home and CDs in your safe deposit box.
      >
      > Colin

      <bill.tarkulich@> wrote:

      > > They make a distinction between fire-proof and fire-resistant.
      The later